• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

compatibility of games for psx4droid

does having the game be in EBOOT form help at all? i tried booting my metal gear iso that i ripped, and it doesnt go. maybe ill try integral and see if that works...

I have not tried a MGS ISO for a long time. Eboots sometimes make games work that do not (very rarely)

Try Integral it is more compatible any ways

You would most likely want to have the game in EBOOT form any ways since it saves space

Upvote 0
One of the reasons why I bought an Android - psx4droid, but well, it DOESN'T work. I've tried everything and even different psx4droid versions - none of them work! I still get that black screen and it throws me back at menu. My phone is Samsung Galaxy Spica (GT-i5700). I tried compressing in eboot format too - didn't work either. Can somebody please help?

Upvote 0
eedijs: Sadly the Samsung Spica isn't compatible with psx4droid and psx4droid v2. I need to get the phone in hand to see why. I think it's due to the instruction cache not being able to be flushed properly. If this is the case, then GameBoid won't run either on it. Is that the case? If so, I will have a hard time fixing this. :(

Upvote 0
eedijs: Sadly the Samsung Spica isn't compatible with psx4droid and psx4droid v2. I need to get the phone in hand to see why. I think it's due to the instruction cache not being able to be flushed properly. If this is the case, then GameBoid won't run either on it. Is that the case? If so, I will have a hard time fixing this. :(

THANKS A LOT for making it possible to play PSX games on the go

Upvote 0
I think I've seen somebody using psx4droid on Spica...
Others say that it is the driver, that doesn't support psx4droid (samdroid forums), but I don't know.

Upvote 0
PenguinTempura: I might be able to get GunCon/mouse working with v2. Cheats and patches are on the todo list too. Once I get FF9 disk 1 working, and increase performance some more.

is this THE REAL ZODTTD ON THIS FORUM?!?! :O
When will you get FFVIII world map fixed? Or is it impossible? :S
I've been waiting for this for like 2+years now lol.
I own both the iPod Touch 3G and Samsung Galaxy S...

Oh and trev where can i get the MGS Integral? I have the original PAL MGS disks but they run so so slow its not really "playable". Top right hand side the disk icon is always churning. Very jittery.

Upvote 0
PenguinTempura: I might be able to get GunCon/mouse working with v2. Cheats and patches are on the todo list too. Once I get FF9 disk 1 working, and increase performance some more.

I was able to get Gameshark v5 working :), I only tested it on BoF4.

Took 2 tries but was able to change disc in Chrono Cross.

Good note: when you first swap discs make a in game save. If you make a save state it will be for the previous disc and probably crash if/when loaded

I have some time in the next couple days so I'll do a round of testing some games that trev hasn't.

Upvote 0
is this THE REAL ZODTTD ON THIS FORUM?!?! :O
When will you get FFVIII world map fixed? Or is it impossible? :S
I've been waiting for this for like 2+years now lol.
I own both the iPod Touch 3G and Samsung Galaxy S...

Oh and trev where can i get the MGS Integral? I have the original PAL MGS disks but they run so so slow its not really "playable". Top right hand side the disk icon is always churning. Very jittery.

FF8 world map has been working for like 2 works FYI

Reactions: Ih4teKies
Upvote 0
HTC - G2, Overclocked @ 1420
Currently using Psx4Droid v1.7

I'm really excited about what's going on with the v2.x Psx4Droid but I'm also sort of happy with the 1.7 that I've been using. I've been hesitant to downloading v2.x because I didn't want to lose the 1.7 install. Can I have both installed at the same time, to switch back and forth as I please?

I really appreciated the list posted above that showed the comparability of games on both 2.x and 1.7, but I find that not a lot people post many trial runs using the G2. Are there any threads that I'm not seeing here that are tailored towards the G2 or should I start compiling some new data to share with our community?

Upvote 0
HTC - G2, Overclocked @ 1420
Currently using Psx4Droid v1.7

I'm really excited about what's going on with the v2.x Psx4Droid but I'm also sort of happy with the 1.7 that I've been using. I've been hesitant to downloading v2.x because I didn't want to lose the 1.7 install. Can I have both installed at the same time, to switch back and forth as I please?

I really appreciated the list posted above that showed the comparability of games on both 2.x and 1.7, but I find that not a lot people post many trial runs using the G2. Are there any threads that I'm not seeing here that are tailored towards the G2 or should I start compiling some new data to share with our community?

Use titanium backup to back your v1.7 then update it to v2

Upvote 0
Use titanium backup to back your v1.7 then update it to v2

I figured it out, I can play them both side by side now, different icons. Seems like the v2 has a small ways to go but I still feel good about purchasing and promoting the developer.

Do any of you find yourself switching BIOS often to increase compatibility or just for the when playing games from different regions?

Upvote 0
Compatibility list comparing 1.7 vs 2.0 (sometimes using 1.1 ) Assume the default bios file (unless I mention otherwise). All my games are EBOOT versions (except for 1). I will mention any tweaks used. I am a Nexus 1 on 2.2

Parasite Eve 1: 1.7 runs 100%, 2.0 works just fine

I'm using unrooted HTC Desire running Android 2.2 and these are my experiences with Parasite Eve 1 (eboot format):

psx4droid 1.1
On Default refresh rate, PE1 runs with sound crackles in-game and during fmvs. Game speed is good with slowdowns during graphic-intensive scenes like battles (sound crackles get worse too). Sound is in phase with corresponding action, for example you press a direction button to walk and you'll hear the footstep instantly.

On Refresh rate 60, sound/music crackles are lesser in-game, during fmvs and battles. Game speed is actually smoother and graphic-intensive slowdowns are slightly better. However to be picky, you can tell the sound effects come in later than the action (take a step forward and you hear the footstep come in later).

psx4droid 1.7
Sound crackles are mostly gone and gameplay is smoother than 1.1 (at refresh rate 60). The only bad point is the fmv speedups.

psx4droid v2 1.0.8, no tweaks
Gamespeed is jerky with frameskip enabled and slow when disabled. Gets even slower during battles.
Sound/music tempo is slower than normal with frameskip enabled and even slower when disabled. Worst during multiple-enemy battles. Almost no crackling though.
Refresh rate adjustments do not seem to affect the game speed.
FPS fluctuates all over between 30 to 65. Gamespeed and sound generally gets slower as FPS decreases.
You can swap disks now, so use it only to swap to disc 2.

Overall, I find PE1 performance to be unsatisfactory on psx4droid v2 1.0.8, almost to the point of being unplayable since it is either jerky with bad slowdowns or extremely slow. v1.7 plays the best but due to the fmv speedup issue, I stuck to using v1.1 at Refresh Rate 60 which handles both gameplay and fmvs decently well, albeit the sound crackle issue.

To Trev186:
Do test out PE1 on your handphone with v2 1.0.8 soon, so as to compare our performance results and see where the HTC Desire stands performance-wise. Meanwhile, give an input regarding the performance on 1.1 and 1.7, are they similar to what you experienced on your Nexus One?

I appreciate your great efforts in compiling the compatibility lists, and I also hope you can explain when you say the game runs "just fine", since we really do not know what your standard for 'fine' is.

Lastly, I read from various sources that HTC Desire has certain issues which no other phones have when running psx4droid. Can anyone enlighten me on what issues these may be?

Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0
PSX4droid V2 1.0.9 (most recent)

I will mention any tweaks used. I am a Nexus 1 on 2.2. Cycle multiplier seems to help on some games which work but feel a tad slow.

I bolded the games I personally have issues with

Let is be said if you use save states from old different versions of this app they are more prone to fail. Load from a memory card when trying new things.

Alone in the Dark-One Eyed Jack's Revenge: Works at full speed in V2 1.0.9

Alone in the Dark the New Nightmare: Runs good in V2 1.0.9

Alundra: Works just fine...should be a SNES game IMO

Arc the Lad 1-3: All 3 work for me

Azure Dreams: Works just fine

Baulder's Gate: Seems to run fine...this game is hard on the eyes on a tiny screen though

Beyond the Beyond: Works

Brave Fencer Musashi: V2 1.0.9 works. Older versions of V2 were giving me a terrible sound buzzing issue

Breath of Fire 3: Runs fine for me

Breath of Fire 4: V2 1.0.9 has no issues starting the game, no crashes in menus, and no invisible walls

Bushido Blade 1 and 2: V2 has definitely upped the speed on these. They are the only 3D fighting games i can find that run almost 100%

Castlevania SOFTN: V2 1.0.9 seems to run this fine. Increasing the cycle multiplier helped me on speed. A lot of people are picky on this one but in my opinion it is fast enough to play

Civilization 2: works fine

Command and Conquer: I have not encountered any issues

Dino Crisis 1 and 2: V2 1.0.9 the games run pretty good now. Dino Crisis 1 has stuttering sound but I can still understand them. I find that using DIV Root Counter and increasing the Cycle multiplier helps with the sound

Dragon Valor: No issues for me

Dragon Warrior 7: This game still will not work. the text will not show after I put my name in. Tried all combinations of tweaks and cycle speeds

Driver 1 and 2: No issues

Dune 2000: No Issues

Ehrgeiz: Still too slow to enjoy.

Einhander: works just fine

Eternal Eyes: runs good

Fear Effect 1: V2 1.0.9 is the best this game has ever run

Fear Effect 2: V2 1.0.9 is the best this game has ever run

Final Fantasy 7: Runs well enough for me and I verified that it no longer has submarine glitches

Final Fantasy 8: v2 1.0.9 works perfect the Garden will move and videos play. It may not be 100% but it is worth playing on your phone, even if you just want to play cards!

Final Fantasy 9: v2 1.0.9 I have confirmed that the Dali Airship crash is no longer present and that the crash points in disc 3 and disc 4 are safe as well. I assume that the others I had found previously are fixed as well

Final Fantasy Tactics: Works fine for me

Front Mission 3: Well I heard from Zodttd that this works on his Galaxy S phone. For me on my Nexus one everything works fine until I begin to fight with the first robot you encounter in training. At this point the game freezes. I have tried all tweaks and even tried turning the skip battle feature on in game options

Grandia: No problems

Gran Turismo: It is fun as is but could be a little faster

Gran Turismo 2: It is fun as is but could be a little faster

Hoshigami-Ruining the Blue Earth: Works and no one has heard of this game so why do I even bother :p

Hot Shots Golf: V2 works well. I sped up the cycle multiplier on this one a tad for best performance

Jade Cocoon: No issues for me

Legend of Dragoon: Seems fine to me

Legend of Legaia: Happy to say you can play 100% through this game a beat it without any skipping. There is a slow down in battles though when you perform special attacks but it is bearable

Lunar 1: Works fine

Lunar 2: works fine

Mech Warrior 2 31st Century Combat: Works good

Medal of Honor 1: No issues

Medal of Honor 2: no issues

Metal Gear Solid : I use the Integral version which runs about 90% speed and has near perfect audio

Metal Slug X: Still crashes when selecting a character.

Myst: Works well in v2 1.0.9

Parasite Eve 1: I have not had issues but keep in mind I have only done the first few battles in the game enough to test the mechanics as well as to make sure the videos done freeze

Parasite Eve 2: v2 1.0.9 Seems to run fine with Div counter tweak on

Rayman: CDDA not supported :(

Rayman 2: Runs good for me.

Resident Evil 1: Runs good for me

Resident Evil 2: Runs good for me

Resident Evil 3: Runs good for me

Riven: Runs good for me

Silent Hill: Runs good for me

Soviet Strike: Runs good for me

Star Ocean 2: Runs good for me. no longer has sound issues

Suikoden 1: Runs good for me

Suikoden 2: Runs good for me

Tales of Destiny: Runs good for me

Tales of Destiny 2: Runs good for me

Tekken 3: Too slow to enjoy

Tenchu:Runs good for me

Thousand Arms: This game is ALMOST playable. Basically the audio loads now but there are still graphical errors with the ground and text does not load in the text boxes.

Tomb Raider: CDDA not supported

Tomb Raider 2: CDDA not supported

Tomb Raider 3:Runs good for me

Tomb Raider 4-5:Runs good for me

Twisted Metal 2: Again Zodttd says this should run without issue but for me on my N1 it crashes at the main menu. I have tried all tweaks. This happened after the first release of V2 for me and has persisted. Anyone else have this issue? 1.7 still runs it fine for me so not a big deal

Twisted Metal 4: Runs good for me

Vagrant Story: Runs good for me

Valkryie Profile: Runs good for me. Game takes awhile to test but the intro no longer freezes

Vandal Hearts 1 and 2:Runs good for me

Vanguard Bandits: Runs good for me

Warcraft 2: Runs good for me

Wild Arms: Runs good for me

Wild Arms 2: Runs good for me

Wing Commander 3: Runs good for me

Wing Commander 4:Runs good for me

X-Com UFO Defense: Runs good for me

Xenogears: Runs good for me. Note if you try and load or access your memory card from the games main menu it will not work. It does work fine once you are actually in the game though. I just keep a save state right after the intro. This game is also a good way to copy/delete other games saves off your memory card.

Upvote 0
I'm using unrooted HTC Desire running Android 2.2 and these are my experiences with Parasite Eve 1 (eboot format):

psx4droid 1.1
On Default refresh rate, PE1 runs with sound crackles in-game and during fmvs. Game speed is good with slowdowns during graphic-intensive scenes like battles (sound crackles get worse too). Sound is in phase with corresponding action, for example you press a direction button to walk and you'll hear the footstep instantly.

On Refresh rate 60, sound/music crackles are lesser in-game, during fmvs and battles. Game speed is actually smoother and graphic-intensive slowdowns are slightly better. However to be picky, you can tell the sound effects come in later than the action (take a step forward and you hear the footstep come in later).

psx4droid 1.7
Sound crackles are mostly gone and gameplay is smoother than 1.1 (at refresh rate 60). The only bad point is the fmv speedups.

psx4droid v2 1.0.8, no tweaks
Gamespeed is jerky with frameskip enabled and slow when disabled. Gets even slower during battles.
Sound/music tempo is slower than normal with frameskip enabled and even slower when disabled. Worst during multiple-enemy battles. Almost no crackling though.
Refresh rate adjustments do not seem to affect the game speed.
FPS fluctuates all over between 30 to 65. Gamespeed and sound generally gets slower as FPS decreases.
You can swap disks now, so use it only to swap to disc 2.

Overall, I find PE1 performance to be unsatisfactory on psx4droid v2 1.0.8, almost to the point of being unplayable since it is either jerky with bad slowdowns or extremely slow. v1.7 plays the best but due to the fmv speedup issue, I stuck to using v1.1 at Refresh Rate 60 which handles both gameplay and fmvs decently well, albeit the sound crackle issue.

To Trev186:
Do test out PE1 on your handphone with v2 1.0.8 soon, so as to compare our performance results and see where the HTC Desire stands performance-wise. Meanwhile, give an input regarding the performance on 1.1 and 1.7, are they similar to what you experienced on your Nexus One?

I appreciate your great efforts in compiling the compatibility lists, and I also hope you can explain when you say the game runs "just fine", since we really do not know what your standard for 'fine' is.

Lastly, I read from various sources that HTC Desire has certain issues which no other phones have when running psx4droid. Can anyone enlighten me on what issues these may be?

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the feedback on Parasite Eve 1 in V 1.0.8. I agree that it was most likely slow in that version as well. I cannot say for sure because my guide was not updated for that version. I am now trying it out in v2 1.0.9.

V2 1.0.8 had some issues and I just kept my phone on V2 1.0.6 rather than use V2 1.0.8.

Is the newest version any better for you (make sure to load from a memory card save)

Also if you want email me a memory card save from your game near a really bad area and I will check it out.

As for 1.1 and 1.7 they both run Parasite Eve about the same for me. Parasite Eve has always worked since the original release. I find that it works best in the most recent version of PSX4droid V2 1.0.9

Since i own both version 1 and version 2 of PSX4droid I keep the first version at 1.7 and only update v2 because 1.7 seems to be compatible with other games that V2 is not (currently only Twisted Metal 2 for me). I keep 1.1 handy but between 1.7 and V2 1.0.9 I have found little reason to use it.

"Just Fine" Or "Works" means that I tested all basic aspects of the game and it seemed like it ran fast enough to be worth playing and did not crash on intro videos or during normal game play. Just saves me time updating the list. I am always eager to hear if others encounter problems in those games though because I have not played through all the games on my phone 100%.

UPDATE: I played all the way through Day One in Parasite Eve on my phone. Using Version 1.0.9 I did not have any issues. The game seemed to run fast and even when I fought 3 monsters at a time it seemed to work good. I will play more later but I am assuming the issues you had were related to Zodttd trying to fix Diablo.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback on Parasite Eve 1 in V 1.0.8. I agree that it was most likely slow in that version as well. I cannot say for sure because my guide was not updated for that version. I am now trying it out in v2 1.0.9.

V2 1.0.8 had some issues and I just kept my phone on V2 1.0.6 rather than use V2 1.0.8.

Is the newest version any better for you (make sure to load from a memory card save)

Also if you want email me a memory card save from your game near a really bad area and I will check it out.

As for 1.1 and 1.7 they both run Parasite Eve about the same for me. Parasite Eve has always worked since the original release. I find that it works best in the most recent version of PSX4droid V2 1.0.9

Since i own both version 1 and version 2 of PSX4droid I keep the first version at 1.7 and only update v2 because 1.7 seems to be compatible with other games that V2 is not (currently only Twisted Metal 2 for me). I keep 1.1 handy but between 1.7 and V2 1.0.9 I have found little reason to use it.

"Just Fine" Or "Works" means that I tested all basic aspects of the game and it seemed like it ran fast enough to be worth playing and did not crash on intro videos or during normal game play. Just saves me time updating the list. I am always eager to hear if others encounter problems in those games though because I have not played through all the games on my phone 100%.

UPDATE: I played all the way through Day One in Parasite Eve on my phone. Using Version 1.0.9 I did not have any issues. The game seemed to run fast and even when I fought 3 monsters at a time it seemed to work good. I will play more later but I am assuming the issues you had were related to Zodttd trying to fix Diablo.

Thanks for the updates once again, Trev186! :)

I just tested PE1 on 1.0.9:

Cycle Multiplier = 6, Refresh Rate = 60
PE1 ran pretty well at this setting with FPS ranging around 40-60, although there are bad slowdowns during graphic intensive scenes/battles. FMV plays a bit jerky but still good without any speedups/slowdowns. Sound crackling is observed during FMV and gameplay.

It runs about the same as 1.0.8 (aka bad performance) when Cycle Multiplier is set to default.

One thing to note is that adjustments to the Cycle Multiplier will only take effect upon restarting the game.

The "Press Start" screen runs very slow in both 1.0.8 and 1.0.9, but I guess it does not really matter.

"Precise CDROM" is a weird option that increased the loading times in PE1 when enabled... guess this tweak is only for Diablo.

Overall I must say that 1.0.9 is the best v2 version for PE1 so far. Albeit not as smooth as 1.1 and 1.7 especially when handling graphic intensive scenes, it is now actually playable, kind of like a slower 1.1 with Swap Disc capability imo.

How does my test result compare to yours, Trev186? FYI the part I played through was in the museum and battles were with that first scorpion (where you can see the scorpion even before going into battle mode) and a couple of dinosaurs. I got some slowdowns just by running up and down the screen with that scorpion.

I see that you prefer 1.7 and 1.0.9, but personally I'm sticking to 1.1 since it is the only one so far to play FMVs smoothly from my testing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the updates once again, Trev186! :)

I just tested PE1 on 1.0.9:

Cycle Multiplier = 6, Refresh Rate = 60
PE1 ran pretty well at this setting with FPS ranging around 40-60, although there are bad slowdowns during graphic intensive scenes/battles. FMV plays a bit jerky but still good without any speedups/slowdowns. Sound crackling is observed during FMV and gameplay.

It runs about the same as 1.0.8 (aka bad performance) when Cycle Multiplier is set to default.

One thing to note is that adjustments to the Cycle Multiplier will only take effect upon restarting the game.

The "Press Start" screen runs very slow in both 1.0.8 and 1.0.9, but I guess it does not really matter.

"Precise CDROM" is a weird option that increased the loading times in PE1 when enabled... guess this tweak is only for Diablo.

Overall I must say that 1.0.9 is the best v2 version for PE1 so far. Albeit not as smooth as 1.1 and 1.7 especially when handling graphic intensive scenes, it is now actually playable, kind of like a slower 1.1 with Swap Disc capability imo.

How does my test result compare to yours, Trev186? FYI the part I played through was in the museum and battles were with that first scorpion (where you can see the scorpion even before going into battle mode) and a couple of dinosaurs. I got some slowdowns just by running up and down the screen with that scorpion.

I see that you prefer 1.7 and 1.0.9, but personally I'm sticking to 1.1 since it is the only one so far to play FMVs smoothly from my testing.

I think it may come down to our phones/personal preferences. I had everything on the default settings and was satisfied with it. Maybe our phone's hardware cause for slight differences or I am just more content with the default gameplay.

To me it seemed as if all FMVs played full speed, some had a light buzz noise but it was very slight and did not always occur (try turning the sound to mono in you game options it helps with quality cause your phone does not offer stereo or surround sound ).

Game-play was fine for me as well. Any slowdowns or issues with touch controls making the game more awkward are slight to me and make the ability to refresh a save state to correct retry a few seconds before makes up for it, but that is just me.

I have not made it to the museum (day 5 if I remember correctly) so I cannot say how performance is up to that point.

I only really use 1.7 to play Twisted Metal 2 because that game does not run for me in 1.0.9 anymore

Upvote 0
I think it may come down to our phones/personal preferences. I had everything on the default settings and was satisfied with it. Maybe our phone's hardware cause for slight differences or I am just more content with the default gameplay.

To me it seemed as if all FMVs played full speed, some had a light buzz noise but it was very slight and did not always occur (try turning the sound to mono in you game options it helps with quality cause your phone does not offer stereo or surround sound ).

Game-play was fine for me as well. Any slowdowns or issues with touch controls making the game more awkward are slight to me and make the ability to refresh a save state to correct retry a few seconds before makes up for it, but that is just me.

I have not made it to the museum (day 5 if I remember correctly) so I cannot say how performance is up to that point.

I only really use 1.7 to play Twisted Metal 2 because that game does not run for me in 1.0.9 anymore

You had settings on default and was still able to get that kind of performance?

If that is the case, this is probably the performance issue of HTC Desire that zodttd was talking about. That is good, at least we now know how the Desire differs from other phones in psx4droid performance, at least on Parasite Eve.

Anyone care to give zodttd a heads-up to this performance test? I do not have a Twitter account so someone please help to link this to him or something, thanks! :)

Hopefully, zodttd can fix this issue and maybe implement a mode for Desire users. Meanwhile... Happy New Year fellas! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones