Compatible Chargers? Current rating?Tips

1. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Unless the s4 charging port has changed (doubt it) it'll work. Heck dang near any charger will work for it.

That looks like the stock oem charger Samsung phones come with.
  3. trparky

Yeah, but it says that it's for the Galaxy Note 2. That's what I'm wondering about. I'm worried that I'm going to fry something by putting too much power into the phone from the charger.
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Voltage is a force so that's pushed.

Current is a supply so that's drawn as needed by the device up to it's limit or the charger limit, whichever is less.

I've been using 2 A (aka 2000 mA) chargers on my 1 A phones for some time - no issues.

Your phone is in danger if you get a shorted cable or the charger goes out of the usb-specified voltage range, that's 5 volts +/- a tad.

From wikipedia - Max. voltage 5.00
  5. Screech

Screech Well-Known Member Contributor

Since the phone comes with a 2A charger I don't see how a 2A charger would be a problem. As mentioned, voltages is like the pressure pushing the current into the device, amps is like the size of the pipe carrying the current (bigger the pipe the more that can flow up to the amount the device wants).
  6. Kcttocs

Kcttocs Active Member

7. EarlyMon

Most laptop ports are 0.5 A, that's why.
  8. trparky

Can't wait for the new USB 3.0, or should I say... USB 3.5 standard. Apparently, the speed will increase from 5 Gbps to 10 Gbps and capable of delivering 100 Watts of power. Intel Developer Forum showcased the new USB 3.5 standard in which they had a full desktop LCD monitor and an external HDD all running off of the USB 3.5 port without unsightly external power adapters.

Can you imagine? Plug your phone in and in less than 45 minutes have your phone fully charged off of your notebook.
  9. Langzaiguy

Langzaiguy Member

@Frydog It says that the USB cord is not included. I'm having trouble finding a cable that can handle that current. Has anyone found a good USB cord capable of 2+ amps?
  10. EarlyMon

11. frydog

frydog New Member

12. EarlyMon

This one -

PS - an iPad will draw 2.1 amperes, so technically the spread is 2.1 and 1.0.

No issues on the phone or the cabling though.
  13. frydog

frydog New Member

Documentation says that the total amps supplied is 3.1 with either port being able supply 3.1A when used alone.

Customer Image Gallery for PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w Travel Wall Charger with Swivel plug for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, iPhone 5 4s 4 3 3Gs, HTC Samsung Motorola Android Phones (USB Cable NOT included) - white

one port is configured for Apple products while the other is for standard USB configurations.

Compatible Models:
    MP3 players, ipods, iphone 4s, iphone 4s, iphone 3G, Apple iPad, Mobile phones, PDA, GPS, MP4, Portable wifi, Amazon Kindle fire / DX and other kindles.

USB Port 1 (labeled as A port, Designed for Apple products) Compatibility
    iPad @ 2 Ampere Max.
    iPhone / iPod Touch @ 1 Ampere Max.
    Others phones / GPS / Tablet etc. @ 0.5 to 3.1A Ampere Max. (May not support charging / or slow charging with some devices)

USB Port 2 (labeled as NA Port, designed for non apple products) Compatibility
    iPad @ NOT Compatible
    iPhone / iPod Touch @ 0.5 Ampere Max.
    Others phones / GPS / Tablet etc. @ 1 to 3.1A Ampere Max.
    NOTE 1:Currently known support tablets: Samsung Galaxy Tab Series, Amazon Kindle Fire & all other Kindles,Nook Color, HTC Flyer, Huawei Tablets.
    NOTE 2: NOT compatible with HP TouchPad, Asus transformer, Motorola Xoom or Blackberry Playbook.
  14. EarlyMon

Ok. I was going by the user comments.

Don't think it's an issue, nothing in the Android or iDevice spaces draw over 2.1 amperes anyway.

The port differences may come down to not having the wakelock that some Apple chargers induce with some Androids.

Are you looking at that thinking that you're going to charge at 3 A?

If you have no iDevices and needs a multi USB out charger, Monoprice has some as well.
  15. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Well-Known Member

Isn't this phone supposed to work with wireless chargers? Any cheap ones that work well with the S4?
  16. ANewDay

ANewDay Well-Known Member

Hope it's 2 amp.
  17. Kcttocs

Kcttocs Active Member

18. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Yup, it's 2. I haven't actually unpacked my charger yet though as I charge my phone overnight every night so I don't care if it takes 2 hours or 4, as long as it is charged when I wake up.
  19. EarlyMon