Compiling ICS for Breakout

1. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Hi, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit on my system and downloaded the source for Android 4.0 ICS. I have the build environment configured and everything. How do I add the drivers for the Breakout into the ROM for graphics, wifi, 4G, etc.? Is there a way to mount the current ROM and extract them from there, or will there be compatibility issues?

FYI my Breakout is rooted and everything, and I have made a backup of my current ROM.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Wow! Thank you!

This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. :D

I will check this out.
  3. tinmankxk

tinmankxk Member

No problem!
  4. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Well thanks to you I got ICS compiled perfectly, did what the guide told me to do, moved the boot.img from the stock ROM, updated the build.prop, copied the drivers from /system/lib/hw and followed the guide to a T. But I flashed the ROM to the phone, and I get the normal Pantech splash, then black screen. The display stays on. CWM Recovery still works and I can charge the phone fine. I have a big feeling it's something simple.

Any ideas from you or someone else? Is there a way to output debug data to the screen or to a file on the SD card? I know about dmesg in busybox but I was wondering if I can output that somehow so I can see it.

Thanks for any more help!
  5. timmyh318

timmyh318 Well-Known Member

the phone needs verizons set up wizard to run. what ur doing is alot harder than it seems
  6. tinmankxk

tinmankxk Member

Wait, couldn't Ray just get a copy of ICS for a Verizon phone, then port it? Or is it harder than that? I only know what I've read. And that's barely anything.
  7. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. It's an idea I may have to look into!
  8. timmyh318

its harder than that. it needs the pantech radios. you basically need to build and write a pantech breakout ics rom for verizon from scratch. theres zero pantech devices that run ics so you have zero source code to go off of for it. not saying its impossible but it aint as simple as it seems.
  9. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Well that's discouraging seeing I've already spent a few days on it. There was a post on another forum about someone who was fixing to release an ICS ROM within the next few weeks for it and asked everyone what apps they wanted for it, but this was back in March and apparently he got busy. So I figured it was easy.

I still wish I had some sort of debug output though.
  10. timmyh318

i think hes running into the same problems you are. i hope you can do it by all means. id love to see an ics rom for the breakout. its just wrote funny and not an easy phone to develop. keep us informed how it goes.
  11. tinmankxk

tinmankxk Member

Well if it's going to be difficult for ICS, would it be easier to port something else like Cyanogen Mod?
  12. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Yeah that's an idea. Wouldn't I still have to add the Pantech radios though?
  13. timmyh318

yea no matter what kind of rom u use its gonna have to have the radios for the phone in it. also most phones will use the android default setup wizard. the whole touch the android to begin screen. the breakout wont. if u delete the verizon setup wizard the phone stops working. i dunno how the wrote the phone but its just weird.
  14. dmc27

dmc27 Member

Rayburn96: Is there a way that you can learn from the Broken Out ROM? Is there even source code available for that ROM?

Even if you can't get ICS working, an actively developed Gingerbread ROM for the Breakout would be great.

Best wishes for success on this. We're all counting on you!
  15. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Thank you for the encouragement, I still haven't given up yet. :)

I don't think there is any source code for the Broken Out ROM but I have been looking at its contents closely. Does anyone know if there is a way to write a log to somewhere like to the screen or to a file on the SD card? Without any debug information I'm just guessing pretty much. If I could atleast see some kind of error message, I may be able to get somewhere.
  16. timmyh318

the broken out rom is just the stock rom debloated with some custom cosmetic modifications. underneath it all is the same android 2.3.3 that comes stock with the phone. and i agree i would like a great working cm7 cyan port but its not going to be easy at all.
  17. terabyte128

terabyte128 Well-Known Member

Just curious about this- is the setup wizard just a software thing, or is it "hardcoded" into the phone itself?

Seems like there should be some way around it.... And for the radios, are you referring to the software needed to interface with them or the firmware they themselves run?
  18. terabyte128

Rayburn96 likes this.
  19. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Cool, thanks! I will have to look into this! :D
  20. terabyte128

No problem, if you want any help I would be happy to do whatever I can. You would need a system dump from the Marauder, right?

Also, you may want to consider moving this thread to the "All Things Root" subforum.
  21. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

Yeah I would definitely need a system dump. The thing that bothers me though is I haven't been able to even get stock compiled gingerbread to boot properly even when using the kitchen.
  22. terabyte128

Hmm, well maybe I will look into trying that too. Looks like fun and I'd like to learn more about it :). What are you using for the ROM that you're porting over?
  23. Rayburn96

Rayburn96 Active Member

I've tried both the Stock Breakout ROM and the Broken Out ROM.
  24. terabyte128

And what are you porting it to?