• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root compiling kernel from source...

mchauber

Lurker
Aug 15, 2010
Forgive the ignorance in advance, but I've not compiled a system or kernel from source in quite a few years (and even that was with the BSD distros).

i have Googled around and found this link:
How to compile your own kernel. - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

and was wondering if there are any better/newer offerings in the way of how-tos. Is there anything extra/less that I need to do based on hardware I'm compiling for (ie, Verizon/Motorola Droid running 2.2 rooted)?

In essence, all I'm looking for (for now) is the standard kernel with IPtables so that I can firewall the phone.

Has this already been done (and yes, I've checked apps like DroidWall, but they are pointless because they cant update the iptables if they aren't enabled in the kernel)?

Thanks for the inputs.

MC

PS. Is there any sane reason that IPTables weren't enabled in the first place (I assumed it must be buggy but Ive not been able to find anything in regards to that either)?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones