• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 'Complete action using' keeps popping up (default apps not saved)

cdl

Android Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2010
I am running Android 4.4.2 on my Note 3.
I have a very annoying situation whereby default applications are only saved for "Home" (i.e. the launcher) and Message (i.e. SMSs). I verified this because Android settings --> general --> default applications shows only these two categories. For everything else (e.g. phone) the choice of default app is never saved.

For example, if I open whatsapp, click on a contact's name, scroll to the bottom where it shows the phone number, and click on the phone number, I get a prompt: "complete action using" and the choice of a number of apps (phone, Viber, another dialler I installed, and MobileVoip), like in this image (the image below refers to audio, but the concept is the same):

complete-action.jpg

If I click on 'always', the choice is not saved: if I repeat the steps above, I get the same annoying prompt.
I have also tried instaling Default App Manager Lite (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appiator.defaultappmanager) but it doesn't work, it doesn't let me set these defaults.

Any idea why? What can I do about it? Thanks

No idea why, 4but there are a few things you can try to correct it. Firstly go to settings>General>application manager one there tap menu and reset app preferences. Yes you'll have to decide on a default app for everything again, but at least you have nothing to lose. Failing that I would go into recovery and clear cache and try again and failing that the dreaded factory reset from recovery may be needed.

Upvote 0
No idea why, 4but there are a few things you can try to correct it. Firstly go to settings>General>application manager one there tap menu and reset app preferences. Yes you'll have to decide on a default app for everything again, but at least you have nothing to lose. Failing that I would go into recovery and clear cache and try again and failing that the dreaded factory reset from recovery may be needed.

I had already tried the first two, but to no avail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones