• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Complete Backup?

jgalak

Lurker
Jun 7, 2011
I'm a complete newbie to Android, and am trying to see if there's any way to backup my phone. Unfortunately, I dropped it yesterday and the screen cracked. I'm getting a new one from the insurance people, but want to transfer my data.

What I'm concerned with are: Settings (screen layouts, etc.), apps (both paid and free), app data. AFAIK, contacts, calendars, etc. should just auto-sync with Google.

Ideally I'd like to just do a backup and restore so that the new phone looks and acts just like my old phone...

My understanding is that this can't be done with an un-rooted phone, is that correct?

If I was to root it, is there a procedure that works as of the most current patch that doesn't erase data?

Thanks,
Juliean.

The only way to backup settings and app data is to root. Once rooted you can use an app called Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data and you can make a nandroid backup in recovery. A nandroid is an image file that saves everything on your phone at the time the backup was created.

If you want to root there are numerous guides and thread in the All Things Root section that will walk you throw the process. Be warned though, if you root and make a backup you will need to unroot before sending the phone back into Verizon. If they see the's phones rooted they will void your warranty and likely charge you full price for the replacement device.

Upvote 0
The only way to backup settings and app data is to root. Once rooted you can use an app called Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data and you can make a nandroid backup in recovery. A nandroid is an image file that saves everything on your phone at the time the backup was created.

If you want to root there are numerous guides and thread in the All Things Root section that will walk you throw the process. Be warned though, if you root and make a backup you will need to unroot before sending the phone back into Verizon. If they see the's phones rooted they will void your warranty and likely charge you full price for the replacement device.

Not all of this is true. ROMs have the ability to backup their settings/apps with google. During the initial setup of your phone, you may have seen a check box that says "Keep this phone backed up with google" and another with "Restore this phone...". If you have these checked, and you were to get a replacement phone (or do a factory reset) your settings (ringtones, wallpaper, etc.) and your apps would be restored. HOWEVER, as WormDoes mentioned, application DATA wouldn't be restored. For this, you'd have to use Titanium Backup which requires root.

Edit: I haven't used Sense ROMs in such a long time that I can't remember if the OEM Thunderbolt ROM has the backup/restore options.

Upvote 0
It will not restore the data unless it is stored on the SD card and not many apps have that feature. Some apps have a backup/restore option as part of the app which will work but those are few and far between.

I have not been able to get my phone to auto download apps for a while, I believe once you have multiple android devices attached to your account it will no longer do so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones