Complete newb needs helpSupport

1. vicj

vicj Member

Hello Everyone. First Post!
    I am a complete newb to smart phones, and have a new Galaxy S (Samsung Vibrant). I'm hoping somebody can help me with a few questions I have, and maybe help to take care of a couple things.

1. I keep hearing their may be a fix for the Navi issue in September. Is there any more info on this? A friend of mine did the "work around" a week ago, but that only seemed to help the first couple times I used navigation.
    2. Is there any way to eliminate apps that came with the phone, if I don't want to keep them?
    3. Is there a setting I can't find that will stop the "History" tab in my contacts from collecting all SMS messages from my Handscent App?? I hate having to delete from two apps to delete texts.
    4. What about all this disagreement I read about Task Killers? Do they REALLy do nothing? I have, and use, Advanced Task killer, and it seems to do what it advertises.

Thanks so much in advance....

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Welcome!

There is now a quite definitive fix available which involves pushing the Epic 4G GPS files to the phone.

If you install a custom ROM you can do this, either select a custom ROM without the programs or use the kitchen at Modaco to have them removed from your ROM.

Sorry, no idea.

You don't need it.

You're welcome!
  3. vicj

vicj Member

As I stated. A complete Newbie I am. How do I do number 1, "pushing the Epic 4G GPS files to the phone."?

What is the Kitchen at Modaco??
  4. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

If you go to Modaco you'll find their online ROM kitchen, which lets you "bake" you own ROM (ie remove things you don't like, add some things you do like the Fancy Widget) based on a slightly modified and optimised stock ROM. If you go to their Samsung Galaxy S forum all instructions are there. One advantage of using these Modaco ROMs is they come pre-Rooted.

Likewise everything you need to know about using the Epic 4G GPS fix is available at XDA-developers in their Galaxy S forum.

Both sites are highly recommended to all users!
  5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

It's possibly a good idea to not touch any of the default apps on your phone. I found out recently that uninstalling Google Talk stops me from being able to download any app from the market. Had to flash a new rom to fix the problem. Not a pleasant experience.
  6. MAKFOTO

MAKFOTO Active Member

Hi, As a newbie I did the same thing. Which rom did you use and how did you use it.
  7. firefox73

firefox73 Well-Known Member

Hi NZtechfreak

I've had a look over at the XDA-dev forum and read a number of postings. Could you confirm which particular fix (or a link would be ideal) you can recommend for the SGS?

Some of the folk on the forum in different threads say that some of the fixes don't work. Seeing as some are using Vibrants, Epics etc even though it's a Galaxy S forum they are posting on, I'd prefer to use one that is recommended by a certified SGS user.

Any idea whether it will interfere with Samsungs update fix, whenever that finally comes to town?

How accurate and quick are you finding the GPS now? As good as you would expect of a top of the range phone or passable?

Thanks