• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo 3D ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Hmmm I'm still not sure what you are on. Before going drastic and running the Ruu, you could always wipe everything in recovery and flash your rom again or a new rom... Make a backup first though just in case. But if a clean flash doesn't help, I would run the Ruu and then get root again...

According to about phone, I have software version 2.89.651.2 710RD

Upvote 0
Thank you Brian! Since I've gotten my toes wet, I may as well go all in! If i wanted to get to HBOOT 1.58 would I have to downgrade to rom to 2.17?

No! 2.17 is gingerbread and hboot 1.50

Gave 155 Unknown error to me....following on with the wizard now. Also got Security failed and update failed...I wonder if 4ext has something do with that.

Mmm.... When s-on you have to relock the bootloader before running the Ruu.
fastboot oem lock

Then try the ruu again from fastboot usb mode :)

Reactions: kmbutts
Upvote 0
Sorry in advance to the admins for rehashing any answered questions. I am a newbie, and apologize for any inconveniences.

I have an HTC evo 3d running HTC sense 3.6 (OEM ROM) that is unlocked, has HBOOT 1.58, rooted, and has revolutionary cvm recovery, before I came across this post today. I want to install custom ROMS (particularly, CM 10.1, but any relatively stable ROMs that have a jellybean experience) and was going to use the methods outlined at HTC Evo Hacks (was going to S-Off), but it didn't work because apparently the one there is compatible only with the gingerbread version, and the one on Unlimited io only works with linux (I'm not all to familiar with terminal on Ubuntu, and don't want to mess up completely). So, any recommendations on where to go from here? Would flashing ROMS work on the recovery and HBOOT I have currently? Or do I have to change something? And if I do, can you please help?

Upvote 0
Sorry in advance to the admins for rehashing any answered questions. I am a newbie, and apologize for any inconveniences.

I have an HTC evo 3d running HTC sense 3.6 (OEM ROM) that is unlocked, has HBOOT 1.58, rooted, and has revolutionary cvm recovery, before I came across this post today. I want to install custom ROMS (particularly, CM 10.1, but any relatively stable ROMs that have a jellybean experience) and was going to use the methods outlined at HTC Evo Hacks (was going to S-Off), but it didn't work because apparently the one there is compatible only with the gingerbread version, and the one on Unlimited io only works with linux (I'm not all to familiar with terminal on Ubuntu, and don't want to mess up completely). So, any recommendations on where to go from here? Would flashing ROMS work on the recovery and HBOOT I have currently? Or do I have to change something? And if I do, can you please help?

First off, welcome to the forums said! :) No worries about asking questions, we do not require anyone to use the search function here. In fact, in the http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html we actually have a rule that says "use search" is never an acceptable response. We just don't roll that way here ;)

Now onto your questions! You can find the windows version here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1889438. Just note that if you go that route, unlimited will not offer any support if something goes wrong.

The live linux dvd is pretty simple. Making the dvd is harder than following the commands to type in. :)

As for your other questions, especially if you stay s-on, I would suggest 4ext Recovery

If you use your current recovery you will need to use fastboot to boot your recovery before flashing a rom. Or alternatively flash the boot.img Separately after you flash the new rom.
4ext recovery allows you to just flash a rom normal in recovery while s-on.

Cuttently you can flash any stock based ice cream sandwich rom. For jellybean there is no other way around it. You will have to get s-off and downgrade your hboot.

Reactions: Said1396
Upvote 0
Yes it will replace it. 4ext will install automatically for you. Just download the free app from their website and install it on your phone. Choose online install. It will ask if you are s-on, say yes to that.

Simple as that. It will flash without even rebooting the phone.

Backups won't be compatible so make one before the recovery flash and then make a new one with the new recovery.

I can't suggest any ics ROMs as I didn't really use it :) I pretty much went from Gingerbread to jellybean but here is a good list of ROMs to get you started: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/650310-compatible-roms-different-hboots.html

Reactions: Said1396
Upvote 0
Thanks Brian706 for all of your help. You're right, 4ext was so much better. I'm using Common Sense v2.0, and it is amazing. It has a near ICS build (based on AOSP) and even has Google Now integration, making it very similar to Jellybean. I'm pretty sure that in the future I'm going to S-off, but for now I'm going to stick with this multitude of ROMS that are compatible with my HBOOT

What's funny is that I forgot to factory reset before I flashed/installed the ROM, and it seems that 4-ext did it for me anyways (I factory reset and wiped the cache and dalvik cache afterwards anyways). Needless to say, it was a tense 5 minutes when I was unsure whether the ROM would work or not.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Oh yeah, and I might as well spread the word about the Common Sense ROM, because it looks amazing.
Works on any HBOOT, compatible with S-ON, based on AOSP and HTC Sense 3.6, ICS kernel, Google Now included (although you can't install updates to it).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1838308/

Worked really well for me. Best if you use 4ext recovery, so that you don't have to separately flash the boot.img.

Upvote 0
What's funny is that I forgot to factory reset before I flashed/installed the ROM, and it seems that 4-ext did it for me anyways (I factory reset and wiped the cache and dalvik cache afterwards anyways). Needless to say, it was a tense 5 minutes when I was unsure whether the ROM would work or not.

I always go into the wipe menu and choose format all partitions (except sd card) I think (from my little understanding) that it actually wasn't really 4ext that wiped for you but actually built into the rom script. Sort of as a safety so to speak.

I guess what I'm saying is, i don't think it necessarily matters which recovery you were using, that the script actually tells the recovery to wipe /data.

Lol yeah, I hate those tense moments. First boot after a rom flash generally takes longer than subsequent boots. About 5 minutes is pretty normal ;)

Upvote 0
I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and root my wife's phone. I have rooted my EVO 4G and my GS3 with no problems but for some reason my wife's EVO 3D puts me in a panic. She has HBoot 1.58. If I follow the instructions on the front page including all of the optional parts, should I run into any problems? Are these instructions still relevant?

Upvote 0
I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and root my wife's phone. I have rooted my EVO 4G and my GS3 with no problems but for some reason my wife's EVO 3D puts me in a panic. She has HBoot 1.58. If I follow the instructions on the front page including all of the optional parts, should I run into any problems? Are these instructions still relevant?

Very good question!

Upvote 0
Still relevant. ;) This guide basically takes you through the HTC bootloader unlock process which is the same for all HTC devices.

Now if you decide to go s-off, that's where the fun begins. :)

But yes, to unlock the bootloader, and flash a stock based rom, or super user, this guide still does the trick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones