Complete noob when it comes to custom Roms.

Last Updated:

1. kellysa111

kellysa111 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I am very sorry if there are other threads like this.
    Okay, questions
    1. What, in your opinion, is the best custom ROM for a noob like me that has no experience in rooting phones or customs roms.
    2. I hear that some lockscreens don't give you the mp3 player like in the stock. Do they?
    3. What does overclock mean?
    4. For the custom roms, I just put the file in the sd card and then wipe my phone, but what do I wipe? I see the instructions but I don't know how to do half the things they tell me to do.
    5. If I do anything wrong, will my phone be used for throwing purposes only?

Advertisement
  2. kcmop8ntballa

kcmop8ntballa Member

1. Depends on what you want to do with your phone. Im currently using the froyo beta because the battery life is amazing, but its not entirely stable. If your looking for a stable rom that is fast i recommend Zenexp.

2.That is true not all of them do

3. Overclocking means upping the frequency on the phones cpu to make it run faster. You can also underclock when the screen is off to help save battery

4.Once youve rooted your phone you will be able to access a recovery menu by powering on the phone while holding the home key. In this menu you will find the options to wipe, create nandroid backups, and flash new roms. In most cases you will need to do a wipe/factory reset and wipe the dalvik cache. You will see these options in the menu.

5. Its pretty hard to brick your phone, just be sure to create a nandroid backup before flashing any new roms just in case something doesn't go as planned. You can always access the recovery menu no matter how bad the rom install goes.

kellysa111 likes this.
  3. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Root your phone, decide how badly you want to keep dense ui, then, if you are like me, try out every popular rom lol.

4. kellysa111

kellysa111 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I flashed Fresh 2.3.3. Just trying to figure out how to install the vanilla lockscreen.

Edit: i saw that some people were having problems/didn't like vanilla, is there any other lockscreen I can get?

5. kcmop8ntballa

kcmop8ntballa Member

it should come in a zip file that you flash just like you flashed your rom. It shouldnt change the rom any but I would do a nandroid back up just in case.

6. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

What is a flash recovery image? And where can I find the nandroid app?... I couldn't find that on the market... =/ I'm so confused lol

7. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

All of this is explained in the guide. Read up :)