Complete phone idiot. Questions about Gingerbread / ICS?

Last Updated: 2013-01-28 22:47:22
  1. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

That one worked. So just do the volume up + down + power to get back to the bios looking screen and install that zip just like before?
  2. BDogg718k

BDogg718k Well-Known Member

No no no
  3. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

I just wiped the cache / user data and devlik cache from CWM.

I dont install the new one from there too?
  4. BDogg718k

From here on out always use the option in the power off menu. DO NOT THREE FINGER TO GET TO RECOVERY EVER AGAIN> IT WILL MESS UR PHONE UP hold in power hit reboot, then hit recovery:captain:
  5. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

Already did it -,- That was the only way I had done the clear cache ...sigh
  6. BDogg718k

No u do just try to always use power button to go to recovery
  7. BDogg718k

Its ok just install the rom
  8. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

I rebooted and then did reboot > recovery and am installing the rom now.
  9. BDogg718k

cool like i said it will take a couple min on first boot. But all the colors r nice to look at. lol:)
  10. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

Right now it is just stuck on "SAMSUNG" in white. Hoping that is normal it has been that way a good 2-3 mins -,-
  11. BDogg718k

Did u wipe everything?
    JLawL likes this.
  12. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

Yes. Cleared all 3 caches and then installed the zip from sd card and it rebooted and now that is all I have is the white samsung. Its still on it :(
  13. BDogg718k

Ok not the end of the wordl. Pull the battery out and turn phone back on.and tell me what it does
    Dont worry using ODIN we can always get ur phone back dont panic i got i wont leave until were done
    JLawL likes this.
  14. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

I did pull the battery out and when turning it on it stays right back on SAMSUNG. I took it out again and did the 3 press that you told me not to do...seems like I have no choice...

I'm back at the blue 4.0.1 recovery page now. Trying to clear cashe just brings back messages saying

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log etc...

Should I just try installing the zip again from here?
  15. BDogg718k

No just try reinstalling the CM7 rom again let it boot then power butoon back to recovery. let me know.
    JLawL likes this.
  16. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

Nope. It says it installed successfully then goes right back to the samsung logo.

Maybe I did the wrong cm7. Should it be the one called cm7 or the one that is gapps?

This is exactly why I wanted to have someone do this over teamviewer lol.
  17. BDogg718k

No what u need to do is flash or install the CM7 file , let the phone boot up completely, long press the power button and reboot then recovery . once there u have to THEN install the gapps.
    JLawL likes this.
  18. BDogg718k

if u want PM ur # and ill jst call ya if u want
  19. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

Ok I don't know whats going on. I went to install the CM7 again, and then all of a sudden when it rebooted I was on 4.0.3

I'm on ICS now...somehow.
  20. BDogg718k

Congratulations:cheers:
  21. BDogg718k

ready for the real fun to begin?
    JLawL likes this.
  22. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

Lol. See? I managed to get to 4.0.3 by trying to REMOVE it. I'm truly gifted -,-
  23. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

So now what? :p
  24. BDogg718k

ok now some basic ground rules.
    1. Never use the three finger method to get to recovery. Thats y its in the power menu.
    2. You can now flash your heart . there r tons of cool ass roms out there for this phone.
    3. Once u have your phone set up the way u want it do a backup. it will by default name it as the date. Just plug ur phone to computer navigate to clockworkmod folder in there r ur backup rename them to whatever u want.

Im gonna give u a link to a cool rom that i run. read the directions of the rom and post with any ?s before u install

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1570404

If u dont like the looks of that one here is a "stock" looking rom. but if u go under the setting tab there r all sorts of tweaks u can make.

Build 34 - Releases - Releases - News

Gapps here flash second but dont reboot in between installs
    [Gapps][XHDPI][HDPI][4.0.4] Kejar31 Gapps 02/06/12 - xda-developers
    JLawL likes this.
  25. JLawL

JLawL Well-Known Member

Alright I've got those 3 files. I like the blacked out look.

Step 2 says make a "nandroid" ...what? -,-

Also...the Gapps you posted last? Is that something I need in addition to this? Or is that just another option instead of the blackout?