Complete WiFi Newbie/Please Help?General

Last Updated:

1. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I know WiFi is a pretty cool thing to have on your phone, but honestly I have never needed it in my life on any other phones. I want to play around with it now that I have an Eris, or at the very least, now how to use it.

When I enable WiFi, I see under WiFi networks a list of networks. But most of them are "secured with WPA-personal" or "secured with WEP". If this is the case, does this mean there is no way for me to connect to that network? When I click on them, it either asks for a Wireless password, or WEP hex key, etc.

Also, I have wireless internet at my house, and want to be able to connect to that if need be. When I hit "Add WiFi Network", it asks for a network SSID. Can I find that on the wireless router, or do I have to call my provider for that?

Any help would be appreciated guys!

Advertisement
  2. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

bump. any tips/advice to get me going would be greatly appreciated. help a newbie out! :)

3. vry5

vry5 Well-Known Member

to use your wifi @home... put in the key that you entered on your laptop when you locked the network... if you created a passkey, that <might> work, depending on router brand.

you won't be able to get into other locked networks... just like you couldn't with your laptop... only open networks you run across (starbucks, etc)

4. HockeyFan4Life

HockeyFan4Life Active Member

You will need to have the SSID and the key whether it's wpa-personal or wep. Also if you don't know your network configuration, you may want to contact your provider. Cause it's handy to have access that incase you need to make any changes.