• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Completely Naked!

wysts43

Nov 24, 2009
Ohio
So after 8 months of using a Diztronic case and an XO Screen Protector, i decided it was time to go streaking! I baby this thing so much as it is, time to take off the pads!

After getting used to the XO, it really is amazing how much better the screen feels without the screen protector on. The navigation buttons on the bottom respond better to my touch also (sometimes it would be hit or miss). And as for the case: while it didn't add much bulk, it just feels/looks better without one on (my opinion of course).

These things along with my beloved AOKP JB ROM really make this feel like a brand new phone. I am more in love with this phone now then i was the day I picked it up at the store! I have a new-every-two coming up in November, but i honestly don't think there is any other phone that has really piqued my interest. Don't think i could switch to something non Nexus branded at this point!

Been naked since day 1, it's the only way to roll IMO. I always say using a case is like making a playboy playmate put her clothes back on

Yeah, I despise the idea of wrapping my phone in shipment packaging. It almost falls under the same principle as dumbing down the phone to save battery. Never used a screen protector, and now I've stopped using a case, too. Got a couple of scratches, I'll admit, but to be honest they aren't really a problem. I don't think they're even visible unless I manage to get oil from my fingers in them.

Upvote 0
Every time I've gone caseless, I've lost my nerve within a couple hours. The phone just feels to "slippery"

I run a TPC? thin silicone case on it that probably does more for "grip" then actually protection.

Yeah, but the key to the TPU case is the lip around the screen. That alone can save your phone from a face down drop on the pavement.

Upvote 0
Been naked since day 1, it's the only way to roll IMO. I always say using a case is like making a playboy playmate put her clothes back on

Eh... don't think that quite works, as playmates wear clothes when they are in public. ;)

I think maybe the analogy is with soldiers. Does your phone go to the "front lines", then it should have the proper protective gear. If your phone is used away from the front lines, then it probably still needs some protection but not the heavy protection of a "front line" phone. But, perhaps your phone is more of a "support troop" that rarely leaves its home base and so doesn't need protective gear. You just have to know which situation your phone is exposed to.

Upvote 0
I had a Diztronic case since day 1, took it off and in less than 48 hours it hit the floor face down and had a massive internal hemorrhage. Even the little lip around the edge would have saved it (thanks to Asurance for the quick replacement, however). Needless to say the case went back on and hasn't come off.

I know right? Let's see, $10 to protect a $350 phone? No-brainer IMO.

Upvote 0
pelvis launched

As soon as I read that I immediately thought of Elvis lol. (I know I'm showing my age there, but I saw him in concert when I was 11, and recently went to Graceland... it was amazing and heartbreaking at the same time).

I cracked up at that one

You and me both.. I LOLed!

As another member here once said, I treat my phone like a Faberge Egg. :p While I do not use a case when I'm at home (it mostly stays on my desk or next to my bed), I do use a Seidio case when I go out. My purse has the perfect little pouch for it, and the belt clip keeps it in place so it won't fall out.

I also use a screen protector, but for the life of me I cannot remember the brand. BestBuy put it on for me (using water, so I had to be careful with it for 12 hours while it dried). It has a lifetime warranty.

For all those who really love keeping their phone naked, check these custom battery covers out. They are amazing!!

GRUVER concepts

Oooo, they have some new designs since I was last there!!

Upvote 0
I don't use screen protectors . I do have a few cases diztronic , seidio case mate barely there and a ottorbox commuter but 80% of the time I go naked . But sometimes I just like to switch it up and use a different base for a couple days . Kinda makes it feel like a new phone

I've dropped my nexus a few times with no case on and its still looking good other then a couple nicks and scratches

Upvote 0
i had a screen protector but it scratched to hell and went naked.
so now i run the phone fully naked. personally as long as the camera lense doesnt get scratched (like my old evo) im fine.

i only put my AOKP cruzerlite case on when i know i will be out and about all day outdoords, like events, parks, etc... butfor home and office use... NO

i did however got my friend to give me her outter shell when she got her replacement Gnex, and after i removed the casing, i spin the phone in my desk and did cause scratches on the screen edges... oh well. it is what it is

Upvote 0
funny you said this....about 30 minutes ago i cracked my gnex screen. dropped it from waist height onto tile : (

pretty upset, thankfully i have insurance on it.

what bugs me is that this is my first samsung phone i've ever had and i remembering dropping my D1 and D2 so many freak'n times over the fours years that i had them with no issues (other than a few dents and scatches).

So after 8 months of using a Diztronic case and an XO Screen Protector, i decided it was time to go streaking! I baby this thing so much as it is, time to take off the pads!

After getting used to the XO, it really is amazing how much better the screen feels without the screen protector on. The navigation buttons on the bottom respond better to my touch also (sometimes it would be hit or miss). And as for the case: while it didn't add much bulk, it just feels/looks better without one on (my opinion of course).

These things along with my beloved AOKP JB ROM really make this feel like a brand new phone. I am more in love with this phone now then i was the day I picked it up at the store! I have a new-every-two coming up in November, but i honestly don't think there is any other phone that has really piqued my interest. Don't think i could switch to something non Nexus branded at this point!

Upvote 0

I roll with Diztronic case, the AOKP JB and the red elegance theme. No screen protector. I also keep a 2100mah battery under the hood with the stock battery door-which the case helps hold in.
Loaded leankernal and this thing is AWESOME!
I am very happy with the whole experience.

The notification bar in jb is sweet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones