• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Compliments/Gripes on Official JB

Wifi was shut off by itself. Had to go back in on both of our phones and re enter the passwords. We had Wifi enabled on both phones,but it would not show available networks even when turning it off and back on. Had to go to Settings and re do it.
Phone has VERY low battery life now. 2 Hrs and 42 minutes on battery power. Used to be all day. Don't rely on it as an alarm clock!
Phone jumps from 40% power to 6% in a second and shuts down.
Phone shuts off by itself,and restarts several times.
:mad:

My phone was doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Have you tried the spin test on your battery? If you place it on a flat surface and it spins the battery is bulging and needs to be replaced. I had to replace mine about a week before JB came out and my phone will last well over 36 hours with a new battery and seems to last even longer with JB.

Upvote 0
Prior to the update I was able to use Bluetooth tethering to share my phones connection with my Nexus 7. Now after the reboot when I attempt to do this I get an error saying "Error #67: Registration Failure. Your data server username/password may be incorrect." I have cleared my cache, but not completely wiped my phone. My device is stock (and was prior to the update as well). Is anyone able to use this successfully?

Upvote 0
Not quite related to JB, although JB threw away a tool I used in ICS, but anyway...

I would like to have a better screen brightness manager/tool-- the auto brightness that comes with this phone is too bright for me under normal circumstances, so if anyone has a tool or manager that would let me better manage the brightness, I would love to hear some recommendations.

Upvote 0
Not quite related to JB, although JB threw away a tool I used in ICS, but anyway...

I would like to have a better screen brightness manager/tool-- the auto brightness that comes with this phone is too bright for me under normal circumstances, so if anyone has a tool or manager that would let me better manage the brightness, I would love to hear some recommendations.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvefish.widgets.brightnesslevel

You could try this

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
Performed the update on Friday, 4/27 via Kies.

It's a bit snappier when switching between programs, however there are two (and a half) problems.

1 - The battery, as described in other posts here, will go from ~50% to sub-10% in fifteen minutes or less (or even if I reboot.)
2 - Apps freeze up a lot. I couldn't even text my fiancee just a few minutes ago, because the stock SMS app (using Swype's new Play store keyboard, since the stock keyboard sucked bad) kept freezing on me. Cursor would blink, but I couldn't input, and the swype trail was stuck on the keyboard. Happens with stock Camera, Dolphin browser, Play store, just about everything I've used in the last 24 hours.

At which point I tried to reboot, and got the 50% to 10% battery problem.

(half problem) : Anyway, I had tried to reset the cache upon the first reboot after the update, but I've tried 5-6 times to shut my phone down, hold Vol-Up, and power it back on, and all I get is a regular boot sequence. I get no menu or anything that indicates resetting cache.

Oddly unrelated and yet similar, my fiancee who just got the SIII (also Sprint) has the same battery problem I now do.

Upvote 0
Also, when it's completely off, only volume up plus power until the Samsung splash comes up. Otherwise it'll continue its normal boot sequence.
Even when doing this, it still wouldn't present me with any menus to reset anything.

I ended up doing a factory reset, which fixed most of the freezing problems.

However I still have the battery problem.

Charged overnight via AC power (naturally overnight's not necessary, but a guy's gotta sleep sometime, right) it spends around 5-6% an hour on idle with wifi off. (This is higher than with ICS, and much higher than my original GB)
If I use it, it obviously runs out faster.

If I restart the phone for some reason, it'll lose ~40% reported battery remaining... then slowly tick UP for the next few hours.
It's ~18 months old; is it time for a new battery?

Upvote 0
Even when doing this, it still wouldn't present me with any menus to reset anything.

I ended up doing a factory reset, which fixed most of the freezing problems.

However I still have the battery problem.

Charged overnight via AC power (naturally overnight's not necessary, but a guy's gotta sleep sometime, right) it spends around 5-6% an hour on idle with wifi off. (This is higher than with ICS, and much higher than my original GB)
If I use it, it obviously runs out faster.

If I restart the phone for some reason, it'll lose ~40% reported battery remaining... then slowly tick UP for the next few hours.
It's ~18 months old; is it time for a new battery?

It sure sounds like a weak battery. ..

Upvote 0
I put the phone on vibrate when I get to work. When I leave I switch it back to ring.

You switch it from vibrate to ring, make a call and switches back to vibrate.

F'ing annoying.

That would be quite annoying. I do the same as you, vibrate at work, ring when not at work. However, I have not experienced the problem that you have. Have you tried clearing the cache on your phone? That may clear up your problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones