• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Composing text, can cursor arrows be added?

Of the numerous touch screens I have had in the past they've always had arrows to move the cursor along, so if you spot a mistake you can press the back arrow and scroll to the offending letter.

Somehow despite there being ample space for cursor arrows the Ace doesn't have this function. Can I customise it? Its driving me mental trying to tap the exact letter. I'm in the situation where I don't want to send texts such is the hassle that comes with it. It also takes an age when you want to use the same number in a word, such as spelling "moon" you have to wait till each letter has registered as they all use number 6.

Thats not good. Or as I would impatiently type "that not god"

It also takes an age when you want to use the same number in a word, such as spelling "moon" you have to wait till each letter has registered as they all use number 6.

I think you are using 3x4 keyboard. Go to keyboard settings and make it QWERTY.
Also try "SWYPE" keyboard. it is very easy to use.
with SWYPE you can type very fast without making any mistakes.

Reactions: GrahamF
Upvote 0
yes but changing it to QWERTY doesn't resolve the problem as there is still no arrow to move the cursor.

Its besides the point but the Qwerty is even worse, too many letters for the screen makes them too small. With the number pad I generally hit the correct letter. My request here was for something that allows me to move the cursor. you're not telling me you've never composed a text and thought, I need to put a word in there, or punctuation etc.

My question therefore is can it be customised to add a cursor? or can is there an app that has a cursor. Seriously there must be another user that has this problem its such an inconvenience trying to tap the exact part of the text you want to alter. Pointless, such a badly designed device!!!!!!

Upvote 0
yes but changing it to QWERTY doesn't resolve the problem as there is still no arrow to move the cursor.

Its besides the point but the Qwerty is even worse, too many letters for the screen makes them too small. With the number pad I generally hit the correct letter. My request here was for something that allows me to move the cursor. you're not telling me you've never composed a text and thought, I need to put a word in there, or punctuation etc.

My question therefore is can it be customised to add a cursor? or can is there an app that has a cursor. Seriously there must be another user that has this problem its such an inconvenience trying to tap the exact part of the text you want to alter. Pointless, such a badly designed device!!!!!!

Hi there, this is my third reply to a post of yours, you are clearly not using the Ace correctly, or not understanding how it works!! :p On QWERTY keyboard option, there IS an arrow to move or place the cursor, to select letters or spaces/input a letter or word etc...just touch the screen & one appears! Put Ace in landscape mode (hold it sideways!) & keys become larger for easy use + you can change keyboard from letters to numbers or symbols to avoid double-tapping anything!! Couldn't be simpler, the Ace is very user friendly, you just have to be a friendly user!! LOL! ;) Try playing with the QWERTY keyboard, it really is simple. And have you discovered how to 'cut & paste' text as well, to move around on messaging?? :D Graham - London :)

Reactions: socrates0
Upvote 0
I'm using the Swype keyboard. You can use arrows, although you need to take extra steps (unfortunately). When you need to move the cursor by using an arrow, swype from the "Swype" button to the "SYM" button on the keyboard, you'll get another keyboard with the arrows, PageUp, PageDown and more.
GrahamF: I can't find any other arrows on any keyboard on my phone, maybe it depends on the version??

Upvote 0
YES!! (and no)

I accidentally activated the arrows on my QWERTY keypad whilst on holiday, and then managed to deactivate them as i collected my bag in the airport. and after searching couldnt find how to activate them, but now i know...

it doesnt work on the basic (default) samsung keyboard - i downloaded 'keyboard from android 2.3, by steven lin' free on android market. it is not exactly the same layout as original keyboard, but used to it after a day or so.

to get arrows: go into a message so the keyboard pops up ready for typing/swyping
then press and hold space bar, keeping it pressed, move finger upwards and the up/down/left/right arrows will rise as an icon onto space bar. then release press of finger, and voila :) to remove, simply press and hold space bar, and slide down and let go.

took me a few days of frustrated playing around with it to find out. but ya can never find anything out by staring blankly and hoping it to happen lol

Upvote 0
Of the numerous touch screens I have had in the past they've always had arrows to move the cursor along, so if you spot a mistake you can press the back arrow and scroll to the offending letter.

Here's an app from the Google Store.

http://tinyurl.com/d2rs8bl

Its a pay one but there may be others that are free

Hi, so why are we still talking about downloading apps (& paying for them!!!) when our ACE does this from stock. :laugh: The posts above all show you how to do it & feedback shows it works! Graham.

Upvote 0
Hi, so why are we still talking about downloading apps (& paying for them!!!) when our ACE does this from stock. :laugh: The posts above all show you how to do it & feedback shows it works! Graham.

Well, I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood the original question.
I thought it was for a '4 way' option- up,down and sideways.

I too, wanted to be able to scroll up to a mistake and correct it, [not copy & paste] but so far have not found a way.
I will go back to my drawing board ;)

(The app I paid for was lost when I had to do a hard reset and I chose not to re-purchase)

Upvote 0
Well, I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood the original question.
I thought it was for a '4 way' option- up,down and sideways.

I too, wanted to be able to scroll up to a mistake and correct it, [not copy & paste] but so far have not found a way.
I will go back to my drawing board ;)

(The app I paid for was lost when I had to do a hard reset and I chose not to re-purchase)

Hi "old chick", sorry I was only teasing you!! :flowers: I'm on stock Froyo 2.2.1 & all I do is tap the screen during typing & a little marker appears which allows me to move the cursor anywhere on the screen, up/down, back, forward! Do you not have this option?? It makes life so simple when spell-checking or adding punctuation etc... Graham - London :hmmmm2:
p.s. - the app you lost, have you looked on the Google Play Store, it should be sitting there for you to re-install??

Upvote 0
:flowers: I'm on stock Froyo 2.2.1 & all I do is tap the screen during typing & a little marker appears which allows me to move the cursor anywhere on the screen, up/down, back, forward! Do you not have this option?? It makes life so simple when spell-checking or adding punctuation etc... Graham - London :hmmmm2:

I am on 2.3.6 and also have this feature :)

Reactions: GrahamF
Upvote 0
Hi "old chick", sorry I was only teasing you!! :flowers: I'm on stock Froyo 2.2.1
p.s. - the app you lost, have you looked on the Google Play Store, it should be sitting there for you to re-install??

Mine is Gingerbread 2.3.4 maybe this is why?

I thought once it was gone that was it!
I'll have a look and see if I can re-install it, thanks :)

Yay, it was still there and has loaded and working as I write!
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Mine is Gingerbread 2.3.4 maybe this is why?

I thought once it was gone that was it!
I'll have a look and see if I can re-install it, thanks :)

Yay, it was still there and has loaded and working as I write!
Thanks!

that's great!! yes, if you look on the Google Play Store under "all apps" you will see all your apps on the list, including any you have uninstalled etc... to be re-installed as required. :five: You forgot to hit the "Thanks" button on my post! ;) Graham - London

Reactions: oldchick70
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones