Computer Connection Problems!Support

Last Updated:

1. MelancholyOne

MelancholyOne New Member This Topic's Starter

Plugged in my Captivate last night. Computer (running Vista) said it was installing device drivers. Then said "Failed To Install Device Drivers" It recognized the device and started charging, but could not access the device.

Any suggestions??

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Try a different port. Especially ones on the backside of the computer.

Try a different cable.

Try setting the USB mode to "ask" instead and then choosing the type of connection desired when you connect the cable.

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit? Has it ever worked before?

mudwoman likes this.
  3. MelancholyOne

MelancholyOne New Member This Topic's Starter

Just got the phone 2 days ago. Tried it for the first time last night. My old Samsung Impression had problems connecting too!!

I think 32 probably.

4. sremick

If you've had problems with multiple phones on your computer, perhaps there's something wrong with your Windows.

Try another computer and see if it works.

5. mudwoman

mudwoman Member

There are multiple steps to the USB connection with a computer, and both Samsung and AT&T make you REALLY work hard to find out what they are. But this is what I do, and so far, downloading device drivers has not been involved: 1) Plug USB cable into computer and phone; 2) When "Select USB mode" appears on phone, select "Mass storage"; 3) Pull down your notifications bar, or if you have trouble doing that because of fat fingers like mine, from your home screen hit the "button" at the bottom and far right of your phone (I think it's the Menu "button") and select "Notifications"; 4) there will be a "USB connected" notification. Hit that, and you will get a blue dialog box with "Mount" or "Don't mount" options. Select "Mount." That will put two drive icons on your computer, one for your phone files, and one for your SD card (unless you don't have an SD card installed, in which case you'll only have one drive icon appear). CAUTION: After you've mounted the phone, be sure to unmount it when disengaging. Before you unplug, be sure to use your Windows "Safely remove hardware" on the computer before unplugging your phone from the computer. Then go back to your phone's notification bar to turn off the USB. Otherwise, I am told, the Fried Files Fairy might visit your SD card. I used to scoff at that, but I've wrecked a USB backup drive that way.

BTW, I run Win7 64-bit, but I don't think it would make any difference as long as you're running a Windows-based system.

As for Kies, I have NO idea what that does, and I haven't messed with it, but I see it discussed all over the forums where USB connectivity is discussed. So maybe I'm missing something, but the above-noted procedure works for me.

And thanks, sremick, for the capfaq link in your signature line! I'd recommend anyone who visits a wiki-type site get a "second opinion" on anything they read, but that being said, the capfaq.com site taught me a couple of things, including that the mini-USB port on the Captivate connects much better when you slide the door back until it clicks!

6. sremick

You're very welcome. :) Note though that although capfaq.com uses wiki software, it's not like a typical wiki where anyone can create an account and make edits. Editors are hand-selected.

See here:
    CapFAQ:About - CapFAQ