Computer control of texts?

Last Updated:

1. luchadorjose

luchadorjose New Member This Topic's Starter

long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm running my D1 w/ sapphire 1.1 OC'ed at 1.2ghz, and I'm about to get a full time desk job so i was wondering....

Does anyone know of an app or hack that will allow me to control my droid from a desktop computer? I'd like to be able to send/recieve texts without looking at my phone every 2 minutes (cell phones are against policy)

Thanks!

PS- yes, i have google voice but don't use it for anything besides voicemail management

Advertisement
  2. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

I have not tried this, but I remember reading about an app that alleged to do just that. It was called RemoteSMS. Again, I've never tried it but its worth a shot! Let me know if it works.

3. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

I also remember pdanet sending text to PC, but only when tethered don't think that is what you need.

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

Google Voice for sure.. free, you can do it from the web interface or the phone app. Heck, if your on a Mac, you can even get a Widget that allows you to send SMS and place calls from the Widget and get Growl notices.

also, for other buddies with a Droid, you could use Google Chat (Talk app on the phone) and then access the chat function in gMail.

5. luchadorjose

luchadorjose New Member This Topic's Starter

SoDroid: remoteSMS looks like a good option, i'm downloading the trial right now, i'll let you know how it goes.

Lock: yeah, i wish i had used that from the beginning, but all the people who text me now use my verizon number, switching to the google number isn't a great option

6. Krugger

Krugger Well-Known Member

7. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

Easyaccess just found in market have not tried yet

8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You don't even need your phone (not only for SMS but voicemail and even outbound calls using my GV number via my office landline) which I've found to be handy the few times I've left it at home.

A further bonus to GV and SMS is that you don't have to worry about backing up and restoring messages since the GV app syncs with GV. If you switch/wipe/whatever all you have to do is load the GV app and login to your account.

That said, there's no MMS with GV.

/Hard sell

I know it's a subjective matter but IMO the people that need to reach me will adapt (and they did).