• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

computer does not recognise android as a storage device

lisakulp

Lurker
Jul 16, 2011
My computer runs on Windows XP and I have the HTC Desire HD. My computer just came back from repairs - new hard drive installed- and things don't work the way they used.

I put my phone on tether - disk drive- and plug in the phone.

The device manager shows an android phone and says the device is working properly.

But when I go to My Computer the phone is not there.

SO I can't access files on my phone. Not can I do a pass through to share the internet on the phone with the computer.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

Does it show an extra usb storage drive in my computer? Usually it will put the name of the device on, but sometimes it doesn't.
Fir instance: I plug in a usb stick - sometimes the computer will show the brand ie. Lexar storage device, sometimes it won't. It will say generic. It always shows my phone's sd card as generic. That I can access and tend to my own files like pictures, etc. It does show the phone, but I can't access anything. Samsung's desktop manager sucks.

I just tried it. You need to set up a new connection under connection wizard. I think it was share connection. Showed up under connections as "incoming" connection. I've got my Samsung modem listed in choices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones