• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Computer does not recognize Captivate

lotreaglesfan

Jul 19, 2010
Branson, MO
when i got my captivate I could connect it to the computer, but once i installed kies, I no longer can. Kies is completely uninstalled now and I still can't. The following below is what I have tried doing :(

i tried all of the following:

- mounting
- kies
- restarting phone
- restarting computer
- switching different launchers (adw, launcher pro, touchwiz)
- usb debugging
- different settings on phone for connecting to computer when plugged in
- redownloading/installing the drivers

oops sorry forgot to mention that.

I am running the 32 bit version of Windows 7 Professional.

Well those drivers were working for me at the beginning. Then I installed Kies onto my laptop, and even after the updates I could never get it to recognize my device, so I uninstalled it. Well after I have uninstalled it I have never been able to get my computer to recognize my device :\

Upvote 0
Try uninstalling the drivers (from device manager) and reinstalling them.

Also - were you at any point running doubleTwist? That will automatically mount your phone when you connect it to your computer - if you had that app and removed it, I believe you'd then have to manually select "mount" from the notification bar.

Upvote 0
Try uninstalling the drivers (from device manager) and reinstalling them.

Also - were you at any point running doubleTwist? That will automatically mount your phone when you connect it to your computer - if you had that app and removed it, I believe you'd then have to manually select "mount" from the notification bar.

i have the app on my phone. every time i use the stock music player on the phone doubletwist automatically starts. So do i need to uninstall it?

Upvote 0
For kies:
1. Turn off bluetooth.
2. Switch your launcher to touchwiz.
3. Turn off usb debugging.

For mass storage mode:
1. Connect cable to pc.
2. Select usb from dropdown curtain on your phone.
3. allow it to mount.

I had a terrible time with it until I figured those two things out.
Of course that's probably not your problem but it did honestly take me a week to figure it out.

Upvote 0
For kies:
1. Turn off bluetooth.
2. Switch your launcher to touchwiz.
3. Turn off usb debugging.

For mass storage mode:
1. Connect cable to pc.
2. Select usb from dropdown curtain on your phone.
3. allow it to mount.

I had a terrible time with it until I figured those two things out.
Of course that's probably not your problem but it did honestly take me a week to figure it out.

yeah that doesn't work....

i'll uninstall the app and will edit this post if it works

update: when i plug the phone into the computer, windows shows that there is a device plugged in but won't let only let me "open devices and printers"

nothing else happens

Upvote 0
yeah that doesn't work....

i'll uninstall the app and will edit this post if it works

update: when i plug the phone into the computer, windows shows that there is a device plugged in but won't let only let me "open devices and printers"

nothing else happens

That really sounds like a driver issue.

with the phone 'plugged in' to the computer, go into your device manager (in your control panel) and find the phone among the list of devices (it should be there several times). Uninstall it in each instance.

Unplug the phone from the computer.

Go to this post and find the drivers appropriate for your computer type, and download and install them.

When the install is complete, go into your USB settings on the phone and pick either "Ask on Connection" or "Mass Storage". Plug the phone into your computer, and in the notification bar, "mount" the phone.

At that point, your computer should detect the "new" device and find the drivers that we just installed again, and once it's completed, it should give you either 1 or 2 pop-ups (depending on if you're got an external SD card), asking you what you want to do each time that device is connected.

Also - do you have access to any other computers you can connect the phone to?

Upvote 0
will make a video and upload it to youtube...

so i uninstalled all of the samsung drivers
i went to the program files -> samsung -> and uninstalled every driver i could in there
i then deleted that entire folder
then i went to the link and downloaded the drivers and installed them correctly.
went to home switcher and started touchwiz back up again (was running launcherpro)
plugged phone into laptop
selected mass storage
went to notifications bar and mounted

when i go to the "safely remove hardware and eject media" button in the notificiations area the name for my phone is "..." i click open devices and printers and one of them is called "Samsung_Android" but all I am allowed to do is view "Hardware and General" Settings....

Upvote 0
did you delete it from the device manager though the first time you had it connected? or did you just delete files from program files?

ummm... right clicked opened devices/printers right clicked on samsung android opened drivers uninstalled each one... wouldn't let me "delete" the device though itself?

idk...

Upvote 0
I've been looking through google this morning, trying to see if I could find any other Samsung users who might be having this issue, and did run across several, particularly with the Samsung Moment (which I believe is a Sprint phone). There was no clear indication among them on any sort of a fix or workaround.

That said, I found this post on XDA. Are you using a desktop or a laptop? Either way - can you try connecting the phone via different USB ports and see if that improves things for you any?

Upvote 0
I can mount the sd card and do everything using mass storage mode, however, all the other modes do not work such as kies, media player...they cycle the connection screen repeatedly.

Also, when I try and sync with windows media player, it creates a new folder on my phone memory as opposed to my sd card. What settings do I need to change to fix this?? Sorry for the threadjack but this may be a problem once you can connect.

Upvote 0
I have tried the USB link on 4 computers, Vista, XP, & Window's 7 and IT WON'T WORK!!!

I never had these problem with the Sony Ericsson products I used for over a decade! I fell for the hype about Android and it's the biggest mistake I ever made!

Where's the thread here where you asked for assistance for your specific problem? Because most people don't have any problem connecting via USB and there are plenty of user-end things you can do to mess things up.

Seems sort of unfair to just rant post after post about the Captivate here without giving the community a legitimate chance to try and pin down what might be going wrong in your situation.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have a very similar issue and perhaps it roots from a similar cause. I have searched through various forums and google searches concerning issues about the connection of the captivate to a pc, however, nothing that has been suggested has worked for me.

I am running on a windows xp 32bit sp3 pc and I have attempted many of the various tricks and steps some people have come up with that fix the issue for them. I have installed and uninstalled kies twice now, likewise with the drivers that are provided on the samsung captivate webpage, and I currently just have the drivers that are supposed to work from the samsung captivate webpage.

I am using the mass storage usb option. I mount it and all that and the pc recognizes that there is a usb, however, it says it is an 'unknown device' with no drivers installed to go for it at all.

I do not want kies at all, mass storage is more than good enough for me and it is what I am used to using for all my previous phones/mp3s/etc anyhow. Kies just seems like a giant piece of broken bloatware to me. I don't need that.

Hope this can be solved.

Much appreciated.

A.

EDIT: I fixed the issue. Something was just wrong with my computer and whatever drivers I had previously downloaded/uninstalled and such. The phone was connecting fine to other computers. All I did was just reformat and everything was fine with the usb mass option.

I will note, though, when you first connect the phone, don't mount it immediately, otherwise it might not work. Let the computer detect it first.

Upvote 0
I have to admit that I'm with Austrini. I've had my Captivate working with two different Windows 7 Computers off and on. This last time is the straw that finally broke my back.
I made the mistake of upgrading Kies to 1.5.3.10103_100 on my primary system and the upgrade "broke" USB connectivity from the phone (it's happened twice before) on both computers.
I finally got the USB Drivers working on my primary system that somehow caused the USB connectivity from the Phone to work again. When I restarted Kies on the primary system, Kies is now telling me that the Device is NOT supported. However, when I go back to my secondary system which has the prior version of Kies (1.5.3.10093_82), it works fine.
I can't have a system where every time I upgrade, things break. As much as I hate Microsoft, I'm probably going to get a Windows 7 Phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones