Computer does not recognize CaptivateSupport

Last Updated:

1. lotreaglesfan

lotreaglesfan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

when i got my captivate I could connect it to the computer, but once i installed kies, I no longer can. Kies is completely uninstalled now and I still can't. The following below is what I have tried doing :(

i tried all of the following:

- mounting
    - kies
    - restarting phone
    - restarting computer
    - switching different launchers (adw, launcher pro, touchwiz)
    - usb debugging
    - different settings on phone for connecting to computer when plugged in
    - redownloading/installing the drivers

Advertisement
  2. Ph8

Ph8 Well-Known Member

What type of computer(OS varient) and which drivers were you using. I ahd this problem at 1st, but Kies fixed it for me. Also, the generic drivers that are found on this forum also worked before I had Kies (running Win7 Home Prem 64).

3. lotreaglesfan

oops sorry forgot to mention that.

I am running the 32 bit version of Windows 7 Professional.

Well those drivers were working for me at the beginning. Then I installed Kies onto my laptop, and even after the updates I could never get it to recognize my device, so I uninstalled it. Well after I have uninstalled it I have never been able to get my computer to recognize my device :\

4. HutchIrrigation

HutchIrrigation New Member

as a newbie, just recently getting my captivate, I tried over and over loading kies and different drivers, to no avail. then I discovered that when i choose PC Internet mode for pc. I can tether.

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Not sure why people are needing drivers. I've connected my Captivate to many computers, XP and Windows 7, and never needed to install any drivers.

6. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

Try uninstalling the drivers (from device manager) and reinstalling them.

Also - were you at any point running doubleTwist? That will automatically mount your phone when you connect it to your computer - if you had that app and removed it, I believe you'd then have to manually select "mount" from the notification bar.

7. lotreaglesfan

i have the app on my phone. every time i use the stock music player on the phone doubletwist automatically starts. So do i need to uninstall it?

8. chicknlil

Couldn't hurt - could see if you can mount again after you remove it.

Do you happen to recall what apps you installed around the time you stopped being able to mount? You may have a troublesome app causing you issues.

9. stephenv1971

stephenv1971 Member

For kies:
    1. Turn off bluetooth.
    2. Switch your launcher to touchwiz.
    3. Turn off usb debugging.

For mass storage mode:
    1. Connect cable to pc.
    2. Select usb from dropdown curtain on your phone.
    3. allow it to mount.

I had a terrible time with it until I figured those two things out.
    Of course that's probably not your problem but it did honestly take me a week to figure it out.

Jenniferlg, vt6spd and dthumphreys like this.
  10. lotreaglesfan

yeah that doesn't work....

i'll uninstall the app and will edit this post if it works

update: when i plug the phone into the computer, windows shows that there is a device plugged in but won't let only let me "open devices and printers"

nothing else happens

11. chicknlil

That really sounds like a driver issue.

with the phone 'plugged in' to the computer, go into your device manager (in your control panel) and find the phone among the list of devices (it should be there several times). Uninstall it in each instance.

Unplug the phone from the computer.

Go to this post and find the drivers appropriate for your computer type, and download and install them.

When the install is complete, go into your USB settings on the phone and pick either "Ask on Connection" or "Mass Storage". Plug the phone into your computer, and in the notification bar, "mount" the phone.

At that point, your computer should detect the "new" device and find the drivers that we just installed again, and once it's completed, it should give you either 1 or 2 pop-ups (depending on if you're got an external SD card), asking you what you want to do each time that device is connected.

Also - do you have access to any other computers you can connect the phone to?

12. lotreaglesfan

will make a video and upload it to youtube...

so i uninstalled all of the samsung drivers
    i went to the program files -> samsung -> and uninstalled every driver i could in there
    i then deleted that entire folder
    then i went to the link and downloaded the drivers and installed them correctly.
    went to home switcher and started touchwiz back up again (was running launcherpro)
    plugged phone into laptop
    selected mass storage
    went to notifications bar and mounted

when i go to the "safely remove hardware and eject media" button in the notificiations area the name for my phone is "..." i click open devices and printers and one of them is called "Samsung_Android" but all I am allowed to do is view "Hardware and General" Settings....

13. chicknlil

did you delete it from the device manager though the first time you had it connected? or did you just delete files from program files?

14. lotreaglesfan

ummm... right clicked opened devices/printers right clicked on samsung android opened drivers uninstalled each one... wouldn't let me "delete" the device though itself?

idk...

15. chicknlil

I've been looking through google this morning, trying to see if I could find any other Samsung users who might be having this issue, and did run across several, particularly with the Samsung Moment (which I believe is a Sprint phone). There was no clear indication among them on any sort of a fix or workaround.

That said, I found this post on XDA. Are you using a desktop or a laptop? Either way - can you try connecting the phone via different USB ports and see if that improves things for you any?

16. kylec

kylec Active Member

I have a mac. What i do is change my usb settings to mass storage. Then go back to applications>development and turn usb debugging back on. It works for macs, i don't know about pc's tho.

17. lotreaglesfan

@chicknlil

it's a laptop and i've tried every port. I would really not like to call samsung and get a replacement phone because of all the apps I have on the phone. forgot to mention the phone is NOT rooted. but if all else fails i guess i'll have to get a replacement?

18. chicknlil

Only other thing I can suggest at this point is to try bringing it to your local AT&T store (along with your laptop) and see if they can help.

19. lotreaglesfan

alright :\ thanks for the help everyone!

20. izmir41500

izmir41500 Member

I can mount the sd card and do everything using mass storage mode, however, all the other modes do not work such as kies, media player...they cycle the connection screen repeatedly.

Also, when I try and sync with windows media player, it creates a new folder on my phone memory as opposed to my sd card. What settings do I need to change to fix this?? Sorry for the threadjack but this may be a problem once you can connect.

21. Jimbritt

Jimbritt Member

I have tried the USB link on 4 computers, Vista, XP, & Window's 7 and IT WON'T WORK!!!

I never had these problem with the Sony Ericsson products I used for over a decade! I fell for the hype about Android and it's the biggest mistake I ever made!

22. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Where's the thread here where you asked for assistance for your specific problem? Because most people don't have any problem connecting via USB and there are plenty of user-end things you can do to mess things up.

Seems sort of unfair to just rant post after post about the Captivate here without giving the community a legitimate chance to try and pin down what might be going wrong in your situation.

23. abond

abond New Member

Hello,

I have a very similar issue and perhaps it roots from a similar cause. I have searched through various forums and google searches concerning issues about the connection of the captivate to a pc, however, nothing that has been suggested has worked for me.

I am running on a windows xp 32bit sp3 pc and I have attempted many of the various tricks and steps some people have come up with that fix the issue for them. I have installed and uninstalled kies twice now, likewise with the drivers that are provided on the samsung captivate webpage, and I currently just have the drivers that are supposed to work from the samsung captivate webpage.

I am using the mass storage usb option. I mount it and all that and the pc recognizes that there is a usb, however, it says it is an 'unknown device' with no drivers installed to go for it at all.

I do not want kies at all, mass storage is more than good enough for me and it is what I am used to using for all my previous phones/mp3s/etc anyhow. Kies just seems like a giant piece of broken bloatware to me. I don't need that.

Hope this can be solved.

Much appreciated.

A.

EDIT: I fixed the issue. Something was just wrong with my computer and whatever drivers I had previously downloaded/uninstalled and such. The phone was connecting fine to other computers. All I did was just reformat and everything was fine with the usb mass option.

I will note, though, when you first connect the phone, don't mount it immediately, otherwise it might not work. Let the computer detect it first.

24. austrini

austrini New Member

I'm having the same problem, the phone wont mount to any computer using any operating system or any cable. It used to.

Ive installed drivers, tried it on a Mac, reinstalled Kies, wiped the phone, bought a new USB cable, taken it to the AT&T store.

Next step: Craigslist

25. ItZCal

ItZCal New Member

I have to admit that I'm with Austrini. I've had my Captivate working with two different Windows 7 Computers off and on. This last time is the straw that finally broke my back.
    I made the mistake of upgrading Kies to 1.5.3.10103_100 on my primary system and the upgrade "broke" USB connectivity from the phone (it's happened twice before) on both computers.
    I finally got the USB Drivers working on my primary system that somehow caused the USB connectivity from the Phone to work again. When I restarted Kies on the primary system, Kies is now telling me that the Device is NOT supported. However, when I go back to my secondary system which has the prior version of Kies (1.5.3.10093_82), it works fine.
    I can't have a system where every time I upgrade, things break. As much as I hate Microsoft, I'm probably going to get a Windows 7 Phone.