• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Computer sees phone but connection doesn't work right

Hi everyone. I've had my Droid X for almost 3 weeks. I've spent hours searching for a solution before posting, but nothing I've found has been relevant to my problem. Every other thread talks about a Windows 7 computer not seeing the X, and my computer always sees it. The drivers installed fine, and I downloaded and installed the software from Motorola.

When I plug my phone into my laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit), I can see it in Windows Explorer. But there are a few problems:

• My phone constantly notifies me that it's preparing the SD card. This can go on for over 20 minutes.
  • When it stops doing that it spontaneously reboots when I try to access it the SD card through the computer or open the notification window on my phone to change the connection setting.
  • It's connected right now and the drive is showing up in Windows Explorer as, "CD Drive (F:) Motorola, 0 bytes free of 8.63 MB, CDFS.:
The SD card is FINALLY showing in Windows Explorer now, but it took half an hour to be able to open the drive folder. This happens every time I connect my phone to my computer, and I was lucky this time (though I still can't access my phone). More than half the time, I can't access my phone or SD card through my computer at all; my phone just keeps repeating that it's preparing the SD card and nothing happens.

This is the only device that gives me any issues. Every other device I connect shows up within seconds and works as it should.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what's going on? Not being able to get my phone to work right with my computer drastically reduces what I can do with it. I want to root it, but I won't until I can fix this so I can be sure I can connect it and fix it if I mess something up somewhere.

P.S. Today a VCast browser tab started opening in Firefox whenever I connected my phone to my laptop. This is really annoying. Can I make this stop?

I had a similar problem the first few times I pluged in via USB. I'd see the mass storage device, but I'd get the error "no disk inserted". After a few trys, windows automaticaly went and grabbed the drivers for it, and installed them. Now it works fine.

There's a few settings on the phone you can change when it starts connecting. In the notifications you can click on the connection and make it Charge Only, Mass Storage, or a few other things. Make sure its on Mass Storage if you just want to trasnfer files.

As to the VCast thing, its very anoying. If anyone has a solution to that it would be grand!

Upvote 0
Well, I installed a clean install of Windows 7 32-bit since people seem to have less issues with connecting the X to it, but I still have a problem. Every time I connect my phone to my computer I'm asked if I want to run MotoHelper Setup and it tries to reinstall. It installed itself the first time I plugged it in. It is already set to USB Mass Storage.

Am I just not supposed to be able to access the folders on the phone itself through my computer since it isn't rooted yet? I can open the SD card now.

I don't have any icon in my tray when the VCast website auto-launches; I can't see how to turn it off, but it's really annoying when my browser pops up in my face if I'm doing something else.

Another noob question:

How do I put the phone in debugging mode? Do I have to already be rooted to do this? The USB connection options I have are PC Mode; Windows Media Sync; USB Mass Storage Mode; and Charge Only.

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones