computer won't recognize phone with new cable

Last Updated:

1. luke1249

luke1249 Member This Topic's Starter

I've looked at other similar threads and found no solution.

I recently lost the charger and cable that came with the phone, and bought another one, but the actual connector is slightly different.

When I plug my phone into my computer, I don't get anything, either on the phone or on the computer, except that the phone does start charging.

I get no "start USB service" or whatever option in the phone and the phone does not show up as a drive.

Nothing, nada, zilch, zero.

I'm guessing it's the cable, but I'd like to confirm before going out and buying another !@#%$ cable.

Advertisement
  2. SilHero

SilHero Well-Known Member

u gotta make sure u buy a data cable, not a charge cable.

i wish i knew 100% that "data" and "charge" is the right terminology but if its not, its something very similar.

3. t_wilson

t_wilson Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter that the connector is a little different. Connect your phone to PC and check the notification bar. Pull it down and it should show that the phone is charging. Perhaps at some point you checked off the option to not be asked what the phone should do when connected.

4. luke1249

luke1249 Member This Topic's Starter

Ah-ha. Both of these are possibilities. Before I change the cable, how do I uncheck a box that no longer appears?

5. t_wilson

t_wilson Well-Known Member

On android 2.1, go to: MENU/SETTINGS/CONNECT TO PC. There you'll be able to choose what the default action will be when you connect the phone to a PC and whether or not to be prompt it. Things might be a little different if you have a previous version of android, but I think that the option should be there none the less.

6. wardfan

wardfan Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with my wife's moment. When I use the usb cable that I use with everything on hers it doesn't work, this cable works fine with my Hero my daughter's mp3 player and everything else I've used, but for the Moment, I have to use the Samsung cable that came with the phone.