Concern about Android Tablets

Last Updated:

1. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. jediknight36

jediknight36 Well-Known Member

Im wondering if Google will step in an address this issue...

3. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Once cheap hi res screens become available, it will be standardized at a maximum resolution. There is only so much resolution you need on a 7" screen and when you hit the point of diminishing returns all tablets will standardize at that resolution. Probably 1280x720, Until then it is going to be the wild west and developers are going to have to either accommodate many resolutions or just not develop for Android tablets until they are at least down to two main resolutions.

4. icurafu

icurafu Well-Known Member

It's not hard to develop a pane that stretches to whatever resolution. The problem is all the fool developers who write java2d to a static resolution. (like the settlers game, which works amazingly, but is always stuck to a small resolution on the corner of the screen.)

Developers will get it soon, but it leaves the problem that unlike the iPhone, developers cannot assure the customer that performance will be nice.

5. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

It is not just the resolution but more importantly, the tablet optimized version of the apps. A 800x480 on a 7" display the same thing that a 800x480 4" phone display. The buttons will be in the same place. The dialog windows will be in the same place. I know because I see if for myself. There was no difference whatsoever when I had an Eken a while back. It was no different than any of my Android phones.

If anyone is contemplating buying an Android tablet, they should consider this limitation.

The iPad works because it doesn't have this limitation.

I suggest Android developers visit this page and see how the iPad versions certain apps are night-and-day different than their iPhone versions:
    20-app showdown: iPhone vs. iPad | Web Crawler - CNET News

Here are some side-by-side comparisons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Android needs to have this type of "tablet optimization" to make it worthwhile. So far, I think Samsung is the only company serious about optimizing their tablet. Their apps are different than their phones.