Concerns about rooting

Last Updated:

1. Serial

Serial New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I'm in the process of acquiring the tools which i will be needing to attempt my very first rooting of my unbranded GSM Hero.

After reading true a few threads on different forums, i can't figure out
    if it is required to remove my sim from the phone when rooting, as to prevent receiving calls while mid through the process.

:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Nope, that's not necessary. Are you just rooting, or are you changing firmware? Rooting alone is just like running an app, so phone calls won't affect it, and your phone isn't capable of receiving calls whilst installing firmware.

3. Serial

Serial New Member This Topic's Starter

well my ultimate goal would be to upgrade to android 2.1 and at least have the ability to use the voice2text and 3d gallery stuff.
    so i guess that would be described as firmware upgrade.

If you don't mind answering another question.
    which recovery process is better:
    1)clockworkmod recovery image
    2)Amon Ra recovery image

better as in ease of use and less chances of something going wrong[FONT=&quot].
    [/FONT]

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah, those things would require you to install custom firmware; I've read posts by a few people who couldn't get speech to text working on the official 2.1 and the 3d gallery definitely isn't included either.

But yeah, whilst doing that your phone wont be running as normal and can't receive calls.