Conditional jerky video playback? o.O

Last Updated:

1. Thor

Thor New Member This Topic's Starter

The bundled sample video (Hero_Sample_Video.mp4) is playing nice and smooth. However, when I try to encode a file in the same format with ffmpeg, I get jerky playback. Videos seem to play slower, then quicker, then slower, etc. I'm encoding with the same settings as the sample clip, i.e. H.264, 480x320 and 48 kHz Stereo AAC audio. I have tried low and high bitrates, different quantizers and even two different containers: MP4 and M4V. I fail to obtain smooth playback even with the H.264 settings from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AndroidVideoEncoding aimed at Android phones. Smooth video playback is obviously possible on this phone, since the 30 FPS full screen sample clip plays back without a hitch, so what are the secret flags I need to pass ffmpeg to attain this holy grail?

Advertisement
  2. Goshawk

Goshawk Member

Yes I had the same results,

3. heller_barde

heller_barde New Member

I know this thread is like way old, but I just wanted to add a solution.

I got a perfectly smooth playback by using Handbrake (HandBrake) and the iPod Touch/iPhone preset. this will generate a file with a mp4 container and a H.264 payload. This worked perfectly and looked stunning on the crisp Hero screen. It was a little big, something like 70 MB for 10 minutes of movie, but I could have reduced the quality (I had it on about 60%)

I hope this helps some people.

4. Nemmy

Nemmy Active Member

"Any DVD Converter Professional" also works excellently and actually has a Google Android preset.

5. heller_barde

heller_barde New Member

ah, very cool! I'll stay with handbrake though, it's free/opensource :)