Configure stock browser to stop automatic apk downloadsSupport

1. ottavio

ottavio Active Member

Hello, Galaxy 4.2 Wifi (UK edition) here, stock Android browser.

On some sites I get random automatic downloads of presumably malicious apk's, usually from dgtina.co.uk.

Is there any way to prevent the browser from downloading these apps? What if installed another browser (Firefox or Opera)?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member

How do you know they are "presumably malicious apks?" Apk files are normally app install files.

Most browsers ask you if you want to download something. If yours is look in options/settings and see if there is an option.

Definitely try another browser if you don't find something to shut off.
  3. ottavio

ottavio Active Member

I am using the stock Android browser in Gingerbread and there's nothing in the setting that allows me to display a download dialogue.

I once installed Firefox and I forgot to check this thing because it was so slow and heavy that I uninstalled it straight away.
  4. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

I realize this is old and maybe you've solved your problem since it hasn't been posted on. I'm providing an answer for anyone who may run into the same issue.

In your settings (not browser) there is an option to not download from "unknown sources."
    Settings / Security / Unknown Sources
    Uncheck it.
  5. ottavio

ottavio Active Member

Thanks for your effort but no such setting on my 4.2 SGP.
  6. prnapper

prnapper New Member

Hi I have a similar issue. It's not the installing apps, it's the downloading of the files.
  7. Rybuzz

Rybuzz New Member

Hye. I also have the same problems.
  8. Sideman

Sideman Well-Known Member

I have the 5.0. But try looking here...

Applications, Unknown Sources....uncheck it.
  9. dumbth

dumbth Member

Use boat or dolphin browsers which are far more capable and user friendly...