Confirm: Epic 4g runs non market apps?

Last Updated:

1. rrcooper2

rrcooper2 New Member This Topic's Starter

Someone raised the issue to me that Samsung blocks non-market apps. I thought I heard that about at&t or other samsung phones. With all the satisfaction with this phone I couldn't imagine that this would be the case.

The Epic 4g can/will run apps just the same as the EVO (no rooting involved), no unexpected restrictions?

I just want to be sure before I drop the $$$.

Advertisement
  2. cruiser771

cruiser771 Well-Known Member

well ive gotten apk's from outside the market and installed them with app installer, if thats what you mean

3. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

If the epic couldn't install non market apps, there would be no way for me to have the krazy kart racing game I found on google.

Epicurean likes this.
  4. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Well-Known Member

I have definitely downloaded, and I am using, programs that I got outside of Market.

5. PoundSand

PoundSand Well-Known Member

at&t blocks (or attempts to) non market apps on all it's android phones, regardless of manufacturer. but using adb or the android central side load wonder machine (which uses adb) still works- it can't be blocked and be marketed as a android phone or have the android market (a phone must support all adb functions - including pushing apps to the phone- to pass the android compatibility suite).

but none of this is relevant if you want an epic, which is only on sprint. :D

6. unknown zone

unknown zone Well-Known Member

well under Settings/Applications "Unknown sources" if you (check), it states "Allow install of non-Market applications"

7. Epicurean

Epicurean Well-Known Member

Wow! Great game (full version/free!) and a great site I hadn't stumbled upon yet.