Confirm my suspicions about a boot loop?

Last Updated:

1. FastButters

FastButters Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

A friend has been having a ton of trouble with her unrooted, stock 2.2 droid, and today it started boot looping. If she let it loop a few times eventually it would "catch" and start up, but it was a deteriorating situation.

Said friend asked me to root the phone for her and install a more stable ROM/kernel. I agreed, rooted it, and everything worked fine until I restarted it to see if the looping was fixed. It immediately started looping at the M symbol. I tried letting it loop a few times and also pulled the battery and let it sit for 15 minutes, but all this to no avail.

I've tried everything I can think of as far as software goes, including trying to restore to the backup I made, using clockwork to install LFY, and using the RSD Lite method to flash the phone. No matter what I try, it still loops at the M symbol.

All this makes me think that there's a hardware issue involved here. However, before I tell her the phone is shot, I figured I would see if anyone here had an idea.

Thanks!

EDIT: I should also mention that I've tried 3 different kernels of various speeds and voltages.

Advertisement
  2. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

sounds like that phone has issues. I would try one last thing. flash it back to stock with out root with a SBF file and see what ya get. if it still has the issue, call big red and get a new one if you are still under a year old

FastButters likes this.
  3. FastButters

Yep, I've tried that. Fortunately, I think she has 2 weeks left on her warranty.

4. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

Haven't heard of a lot of Droids with issues but this does sound like a hardware issue, bad flash I am guessing. But it could be a number of things, give them a call and she should have a new one in a few days.

FastButters likes this.
  5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right, given the generally accepted conditions that if you've generally ruled out specific software as causing the issue (in your case, ANY ROM causes the issue), you have a hardware issue. Get that warranty replacement before it's expired. My phone died 4 days before my warranty was up. I was so relieved. ;)

FastButters likes this.
  6. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member

My first unrooted Droid was boot looping, intermittently. Oddly enough I also always had to re-calc the MDH sum before it would accept a nandroid backup. Tried a different SD card and it continued. I eventually got a replacement and it stopped.
    My theory was it was somehow not communicating properly with the SD card. Just for kicks before you send it back, maybe pull the SD card and see if it boots:confused:

FastButters likes this.
  7. FastButters

I did. I tried everything I could think of, and then checked here, since although I am pretty handy at this sort of thing, others on these boards certainly known more than I do.

Anyways.... friend returned the phone and got a replacement refurb with no hassle. Let's hope it doesn't have any of the stereotypical refurb problems!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.