• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confirmed: no ice cream sandwich for MyTouch 4g Slide - ever

I just got off the phone with HTC support after asking the "ice cream sandwich" question.

The operator told me it will never be supported on this phone (MyTouch 4G Slide). His reason why was that "it will corrupt the phone". Obviously, a ridiculous answer. I made it clear that I wasn't going to root it and upgrade, but instead wanted a supported release from HTC. Same answer.

I asked the operator if the phone was obsolete? He said yes.

Not happy answers from HTC. I purchased the phone only two months ago.

--Charley

I just got off the phone with HTC support after asking the "ice cream sandwich" question.

The operator told me it will never be supported on this phone (MyTouch 4G Slide). His reason why was that "it will corrupt the phone". Obviously, a ridiculous answer. I made it clear that I wasn't going to root it and upgrade, but instead wanted a supported release from HTC. Same answer.

--Charley

Looks like it is time to root and ROM it!

I have found support from the development community for custom ROMs is almost always better than HTC, Samsung, Moto, etc anyways. Not to mention updates are WAY faster!

Upvote 0
We now have CM9 support! I can't wait! I do like the look of ICS, but I am pretty satisfied with my phone now. I am running Bulletproof, which is a gingerbread rom, but my phone is powerful and fast, and I don't have any issues, so I can wait patiently until we get an ICS rom that is perfect, and if we never get one (which I highly doubt) I think I will be okay.

Upvote 0

--Charley

I worked for years directly with the internal network engineering department of one of the major wireless companies in the US. Not one of the front line phone support reps had a clue what was going on in the engineering department or any idea what the company would support in the future. That information was tightly controlled with non-disclosure agreements and restricted distribution of documents.

This rep's "corrupt the phone" comment makes it clear that he doesn't have a clue how software and firmware work on a smart phone. It is almost assured that he has no idea what HTC's plans are for future releases either. Until HTC decides officially whether to upgrade your handset and publicly announces it neither will we.

BTW - I've read in various places that HTC's Honeycomb upgrade strategy was a disaster for them and they've decided to go much more slowly with ICS.

Upvote 0
there are plenty of ICS-based ROMs to choose from. any OTA update will be full of bloatware anyways.

i am running the latest version of ParanoidAndroid, after shying away from CM10. it runs like a dream and even has the option of running in tablet/hybrid modes.

dont waste your time sitting around waiting for an update. it's really not that difficult to do it yourself if you just follow the guides on XDA forums. it took me a couple of hours to get comfortable enough to go for it. i'm glad i did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones