Confirmed that PC will not recongnize Hero; options?

Last Updated:

1. manoosie

manoosie Member This Topic's Starter

I posted a a few days ago about my Hero not syncing with my pc. In short, although the phone charges, neither the hero or the pc recognize each other. Nothing happens. I tried various computers and cables to no avail. Yesterday, I took it into a sprint store to a guy I know is knowledgeable with the Hero (he is the manger and uses a hero) and even he was stumped.

I just bought this phone used. I still am within the 30 days to purchase insurance for this phone. Is my only option to purchase insurance, pay a $50 deductible and send in the phone to get fixed? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. bern_viking

bern_viking Active Member

Stupid question, but have you tried restarting the Hero? Mine was also not recognised by the sync software, and i did a power down (hold the power button untill you get the list with the options), wait a moment or two and then restart your hero. Then my sync software "found" the hero.

hope it helps

3. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Silly question I have too... Have you installed the HTC Sync program? did any notification come up at all? Can you mount your MicroSD???

:)

4. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

what operating system do you have? there is issues with HTC sync and windows 7. i am having that problem.

5. tarheelalum

tarheelalum Active Member

My Mac will not recognize my hero either. I took my mac to the sprint store so their android guy could look at it and he said, "sorry".

6. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

The deductible is $100, not $50.

You can always try to RUU it, but I would do that as a last resort after you have answered the above posts.

7. BFHammer

BFHammer Member

It didn't like mine yesterday either, for win 7 there is an updated sync download. It didn't work in the initial install but I uninstalled the sync that came with the hero, rebooted, installed the new version and it sync'd up. A key as well I believe is to NOT have the phone connected while installing and ignoring the windows driver prompt. HTC support was confused, one guy told me there wasn't win 7 drivers while I was looking at the driver online talking to him.

8. username182

username182 Member

What OS are you running on your PC?

I had this problem as well, I am running Windows 7 64bit.

I installed the latest HTC Sync which I downloaded from HTC's website and it still wouldn't sync.

I ended up finding this site, downloaded the "HTC Hero driver for 64-bit Windows 7" zip, and that worked perfectly.

Workaround for HTC Hero Sync Problem in Windows 7 My Digital Life

9. Droid.eris

Droid.eris Well-Known Member

You have to mess around with the drivers of the phone through device manager. look for a video on youtube thats how i got min working

10. BFHammer

BFHammer Member

I didn't have to do the digital river work around. Specifically what I did was
    installed the sync from the phone
    it was all greyed out and couldn't sync or find the phone
    installed the upgrade, had the error messages
    uninstalled
    rebooted
    reinstalled the new version for win 7 64 bit
    it's worked every since, on win 7 it didn't pop up initially you had to go to the right taskbar and click on it even though it was running but not visible.
    It's worked ever since

11. bern_viking

bern_viking Active Member

BTW, just remembered that I had to change the USB Debug settings on my hero to get it to sync (with XP)
    "
    Before syncing for the first time, please ensure that USB Debugging is turned on in MENU > Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging.
    "
    Since then it has worked for me (and I haven't had any strange debugging messages appearing). Hope this helps.

12. BFHammer

BFHammer Member

Mine didn't show until I hit the mount button either. On mine the PC snyc was slow as heck loading and didn't pop up, I found it in the right taskbar pull up on win7