Confirmed: WiFi N (802.11n) *NOT* enabled on IncredibleGeneral

Last Updated:

1. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Several posts have "confirmed" that the Incredible has WiFi N. Maybe it is capable of WiFi N, but N is certainly not enabled.

See attached picture of Airport Utility at my house, which is a WiFi N router. You can see that one device is connected at 802.11a/n with a rate of 270 mpbs. You can see that another device is connected at 802.11b/g with a rate of 54 mpbs. That device is my HTC Incredible.

I've tried it with two different WiFi N networks, and the incredible never connects at anything other than WiFi G, and it never has a rate higher than 54 mbps.

Does anybody still care to argue that the Incredible has WiFi N enabled? Has anybody else experienced anything different?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    onlinebrad, Musky and Stevo_Cali like this.
  2. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

I'd like to know what practical application wireless n would actually have for a smartphone.

Movies don't need to be that big and can stream over much slower networks.

The bottleneck for web surfing would be in the processor before it would be in the cloud, and the cloud would bottleneck long before even the most basic wifi.

Maybe just so you can transfer files for x reason (hard to find an x that would really need wifi n though)?

cougar618 likes this.
  3. eleazar

eleazar Well-Known Member

The main reason for me would be range of the wifi. I can be out in my backyard (just an example, assume my yard is really big lol) and I'll still receive a strong wifi signal. Much better on battery life, and much faster to boot.

cougar618, photographx and zanza like this.
  4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

it may just need to be unlocked somehow... that was the case with my omnia to get g

5. phositadc

Don't get me wrong -- I agree with you completely. I don't really think wireless N matters one way or the other.

But there have been several posts on this board supposedly "confirming" the phone has it, and the latest version of the Verizon Incredible manual itself even lists wifi b/g/n.

I'm posting this simply to confirm that it does not have wifi N (enabled, at least). Does that make it a less attractive device? No, not to me.

6. phositadc

Actually this is a good point. Better range and better battery life are pretty nice features of wifi N.

7. Jaguox

Jaguox Active Member

Have you tried disabling a/b/g on the Airport and seeing if it still connects? I know this isn't a long term solution since you will still want to connect b/g devices, but if you currently only have N devices you could give it a shot.

8. marcelob

marcelob Well-Known Member

Oh no, my Wireless G only gets me 10 MBps down and 4 Mbps up on my DI using my home FIOS connection.

What will I do with such horrible speeds?!

9. marcelob

marcelob Well-Known Member

Ok, so Wireless N would be nice to use but I don't think it's a big issue if it's not enabled this very second.

If the hardware is capable (which many people confirmed it is), then it's a matter of software to get it working properly. Be patient, my friend...

10. Plumrt

Plumrt Well-Known Member

Test a wireless router that is set for "N only"
    Maybe it's defaulting to G if present?

11. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

Range I'm sure, battery life might be worse, the router can transmit further because of frequency and allowed power usage increases from b/g.

12. phositadc

As mentioned above, I'm just pointing this out. Particularly since it was "conflippin'firmed" that the phone has wifi N in the official thread at least two different times.

I don't really care that it doesn't have N enabled, except for the range/battery implications.

TheBigD likes this.
  13. phositadc

I'll try this out when I get home.

14. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Can't you use your 3g?

I would rather use my laptop in the house personally.

I just don't think N is necessary anyways. Especially since you can't get N if someone with G is on the network because then everyone is downgraded to G even if you have N. Or so I have been informed.

Not even close to a deal breaker for me.

15. NiteRider

NiteRider Well-Known Member

It's not a deal breaker but having that range would be pretty nice.

16. Mr. Spontaneous

Mr. Spontaneous Well-Known Member

It's weird - the official user guide on VZW's site says N and we know the hardware platform supports N. That being said, if it's not present, look for a software update that will enable this to come out: 802.11n and FM Radio Coming to Google Nexus One?

17. mikeylanga

mikeylanga Member

this will be my first phone that is wifi enabled, so pardon my ignorance..

wifi is a data only network, right? is this what is used for voip/skype phone calls? does it have an effect on normal voice calls? do i need to enable my incredible to connect to my fios network at home? are there security concerns about connecting to public networks?

18. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I think that's only true with the cheap N routers that operates on a single band frequency. The more expensive N routers with dual band will allow you to have G users on without downgrading the speed of N users. The lower frequency is used by the G while the higher frequency will go to the N.

19. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

1. wifi IS a data only network.
    2. Yes, normally voip/skype will use wifi, however I've read that skype mobile for verizon will only allow you to use it over 3g.
    3. you'll need to enable wifi on your incredible. Also, if you have encryption set on your network, you'll have to enter in the key.
    4. All public networks have security concerns. I would be careful on what you do on them.

20. Mr. Spontaneous

hth

21. phositadc

Yeah, that is obviously the case, because as my picture above shows, on my Airport I can obviously have my computer connected at N while my Incredible is connected at G simultaneously.

22. Mr. Spontaneous

I've found that Airports sometimes cause funkiness with non-Apple hardware. I'll fire up my N router when I get home this evening and try to connect to it.

23. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I know. I wasn't doubting you. I was just responding to jamor's comment.

24. techguy

techguy Member

It will be enabled and supported in Android 2.2 -

Neowin.net - Android will support Wireless-N

InvisibleGirl2K10 likes this.
  25. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

Wireless N will not be any faster than Wireless G. There is no phone that can take full advantage of even G speeds.