Conflicting Root Info???

Last Updated:

1. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There's a lot of noobish posts/replies about rooting and EVO here, so I'm trying to fully grasp what is true and what is not.

A lot of posts/replies indicate you lose all of your data/apps/settings but I'm beginning to think that this only happens with the toastcfh root but NOT the unrevoked root. Can someone (who has a clue and has done this) please confirm? :)

The sticky says that the OTA will kill the Root. This seems to contradict what unrevoked is saying on Twitter. So will it clobber the unrevoked root or the toastcfh root (or both)? I find it hard to believe unrevoked is wrong about their own app/testing/rooting...

Next a lot of folks say wifi-tethering is broken. First off, I believe it wasn't "working" unless you used the Sprint Mobile WiFi HotSpot and are paying for it. So when someone says "its broken" that leads me to believe rooting the EVO breaks the Sprint Mobile WiFi Hotspot, which I kind of doubt, but want to confirm. Sure it likely doesn't resolve the MAC/ARP issue for android-wifi-tether app, but I'm not trying to get something for free here, I'm already paying for Sprint's Mobile Hotspot, I just don't want to break it.

My last question is for the UNIX folks out there - Has anyone found an Apache or similar web server which is ported to Android, which I could load? What about SSHD? IMHO, there's no point in rooting if I can't run a web server or SSH daemon. I don't care to kill the Sprint bloatware (kind of like it) as I have already resolved my battery issues (see my other post).

Advertisement
  2. taiguy

taiguy Well-Known Member

You only lose your settings/data if you go the toast root method. unrevoked didn't touch anything on mine.

3. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think we're set now, thanks!