• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Worse than Newbie with questions. I give what time I can to learning, but I can’t seem to find agreement on a few questions. Can anyone offer good parameters so I can make informed decisions, please?

1. To root, or not to root. T-Mobile tech said even though my fone (GalaxyS 4G, T-Mobile) was already out of date and warranty dead to death, under no circumstances should anyone ever, ever, ever root. Said it would only add tons of memory, junk, and slow the thing down. Personally, I can barely spell root, so I am WAY out of my league and cannot understand the terminology, discussions, and procedures I have read about even though it seems like a good idea—at least to a lot of folks.

Short answer: With all due respect, the person who told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Long answer: I have been on android devices since a week after the first android device was release and I have rooted every android device that I've owned. Rooting typically allows the user to choose the ROM, kernel, app, and theme combination that work best for them. Custom ROMs and kernels are typically tweaked for better system performance. Rooting allows the user to remove existing bloatware, this improves the android experience as well as system performance.

To be honest, I think manufacturers and carriers could learn a lot from ROM and kernel developers

Upvote 0
Thank you. From what little I have seen, it does seem they still have a lot to learn. I have just entered into panic mode, however. The stoopid thing has apparently died just a few days ahead of schedule. I have had to uninstall a lot of stuph we had added and yet it has still frozen at least 10 times today. One of my biggest problems is that while I admire greatly the ability you guys have, I truly do not know what "Rooting typically allows the user to choose the ROM, kernel, app, and theme combination that work best for them. Custom ROMs and kernels are typically tweaked for better system performance....." means. I should probably be embarrassed, but I don't even know what custom ROM or kernels are, and since the fone keeled over I just ran out of time and it's nobody's fault but my own.

Going back to T-Mobile in a few, but is there any way I can save everything my son and I have on this one so we can re-install when we get back? I have a great son and even though it isn't far removed from video games, at least the time we spend playing on a phone has been a reliable means to get him to spend time with me instead. I'm hoping I can save the themes and even the settings as to how they are placed?

I bet that's asking too much for an idiot like myself, but I thought I would ask while waiting on my wife to get back from a trip. She will be here in about an hour and I can't thank everyone enough for any constructive directions.

Upvote 0
Try the Carbon backup app, it's free. For your text messages, there's SMS Backup+.

Rooting is the same exact thing as getting admin access on your PC. The name of the admin account is root, that's where we get the name.

Once you have root, you don't have to deal with ROMs or anything else that's complicated.

Your two biggest admin tools will be a custom recovery and a root backup tool. The app backup tools will backup more and do more because - root. You're admin. Same deal as backing up stuff on a PC because - admin.

The custom recovery lets you install things that you otherwise cannot, make full image backups of your phone and clean up the Android caches. (Android is like a browser that way, it runs on caches and does better when they're cleaned out from time to time, just like a browser. And you need root to do that.)

In the feature phone days, the operating system and software were stored on read-only memory (ROM).

Now it's all done with flash memory (like an sd card or usb stick).

You can install a customized version of Android if you like. Due to the creativity out there, excellent alternatives to what came out of the box exist for you to choose from. You don't have to, but you can.

Because of the way it was in the feature phone days, we call the zip file containing the custom operating system version a rom, even though it isn't.

When you install it, we say, "you flashed a rom." See what I did with the words there?

That's pretty much the overview, the whole enchilada in a nutshell.

Actual details vary by model (some don't use a custom recovery, but use a PC to do the same things in different ways).

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thank you. From what little I have seen, it does seem they still have a lot to learn. I have just entered into panic mode, however. The stoopid thing has apparently died just a few days ahead of schedule. I have had to uninstall a lot of stuph we had added and yet it has still frozen at least 10 times today. One of my biggest problems is that while I admire greatly the ability you guys have, I truly do not know what "Rooting typically allows the user to choose the ROM, kernel, app, and theme combination that work best for them. Custom ROMs and kernels are typically tweaked for better system performance....." means. I should probably be embarrassed, but I don't even know what custom ROM or kernels are, and since the fone keeled over I just ran out of time and it's nobody's fault but my own.

Going back to T-Mobile in a few, but is there any way I can save everything my son and I have on this one so we can re-install when we get back? I have a great son and even though it isn't far removed from video games, at least the time we spend playing on a phone has been a reliable means to get him to spend time with me instead. I'm hoping I can save the themes and even the settings as to how they are placed?

I bet that's asking too much for an idiot like myself, but I thought I would ask while waiting on my wife to get back from a trip. She will be here in about an hour and I can't thank everyone enough for any constructive directions.

No need to be embarrassed, every android user was in your shoes at one time. Let me see if I can enlighten you a bit.

Rooting
Rooting an android device involves gaining permissions to the entire system. Stock android devices will usually not allow you to access files in certain folders due to permissions, but rooting removes these limitations and allows access to the entire system.

ROMs
Google releases the source code for Android. This source code can be freely obtained by anyone to do with a they wish. There are third-party software developers that grab that source code, edit it to their liking and compile it into a ROM - these ROM developers typically tweak the source code for speed and usability prior to compilation. Users, such as you and I, can grab those ROMs and flash them onto a rooted device. What this does is it replaces the shipped operating system of a device with the system contained in the ROM - CyanogenMod is a popular example of this.

Kernels
A kernel is the basis of most computer operating systems which processes data between the software and hardware - Android would not function without its kernel. Kernel developers typically edit their kernels to improve system performance and battery life.

Apps
Apps are the software applications that we use on our devices - think of Internet Explorer as an app for a Windows desktop PC.

Themes
Themes are a group of graphics and related files that make up the appearance of the user interface - the buttons and scroll bars on your mobile device are components of a theme.

Bloatware
Carriers often sell android devices with their own bundle of apps (known to end-users as bloatware) pre-installed, this typically includes apps that many of us will never use.

The main reason people root their devices is to switch ROMs, kernels, themes, and/or to remove bloatware. A user who roots his or her phone usually finds a combination of ROM/kernel/theme/apps that yields a streamlined device altered to meet the specific needs of the user - I rooted my devices mainly to install ROMs and switch themes. Some folks root simply to remove bloatware, others root and go the whole distance.

If you decide to root your device, and I can't stress this enough, you must follow a rooting guide that was written for your device model. Rooting methods vary from device to device and using the wrong guide can cause problems. Don't let me scare you, though, rooting these days is easy and the bulk of the work is usually performed by a software program while you wait.

Can you see why I said that the T-Mobile employee who tried to talk you out of rooting didn't know what they were talking about? I'll give him/her the benefit of the doubt and assume he/she knew nothing about rooting and was just echoing a company memo.

The Google Play Store will always be there so you can re-install any app(s) at any time. If you've purchased any apps, those apps will be tied into your Google account so you can install them at any time on any android device without having to pay for them again.

As for personal files, you can plug your phone into a desktop PC via a USB cord and copy files from the phone to your PC. I haven't used a Windows OS in over a decade so I won't be able to assist you with this. Perhaps someone else can chime in and assist.

Your gmail, calendar, contacts, and other google account services will sync with your phone once you have logged into it, so you won't lose these items even when moving to a new android device.

Finally, don't worry, you've joined the biggest and best android forums on the 'net and we'll do our best to take care of you :)

Upvote 0
Still learning what I can. My replacement fone came back on schedule (Galaxy S 4G) and it doesn't perform any better than the previous one. They admitted of course it was only a refurbished one and I could return this one as well.

Right.

So now, I have worked up the courage for a complete neo to root this thing and I am terrified. I know I've asked before, but are you or anyone else willing to baby step me through this? I don't even understand the backup process well enough to do it with any real confidence.

Thank you all for the tremendous kindness and assistance.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
My best advice - only take advice from someone who's rooted your phone model, the steps have subtle differences from model to model.

I'm confident that one of our members who have been in your shoes and got going will be happy to help.

Ask them here - Galaxy S 4G - All Things Root - Android Forums

Best luck, I'm confident you'll be ok. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Here I am two months after I first came to ask about rooting and still can't bring myself to do it. I am absolutely convinced rooting is the answer I have been looking for to help my phone perform, and oddly enough I am a tech nerd in other arenas where I never hesitate to experiment on some of the most riskiest efforts imaginable. This specific learning curve coupled with my overwhelming battle with ongoing and unrelenting depression makes it frustrating to not fix my problem while concurrently preventing me from diving into something I fear will produce a brick which at one time very closely resembled a pretty nice looking Galaxy S 4G. Does anyone have the exact words of encouragement that can finally lead me through the door to blissful rooting? I have always believed myself to be a jock, an athlete with no physical bounds that could stop me when I was dedicated. Suddenly I find myself so far on the other side of whimpy I cannot ever imagine raising my head enough to look anyone else in the eye.

I see some great details and explanation dedicated to helping me, so I am about to finally bite the bullet (unless I chicken out in the next five toi ten minutes). Watch the news and if you see an auspicious article that says Mexican Looking White Boy kills self over phone rooting, remember me on some special occasion someday.

Here I go. Wish the world luck because here I come.......I think.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
Chickened out. Regrouping the brain at the moment, but I want to tell you how impressed I am that you took the time to check. Thank you so very much.

Also still trying to understand exactly how this site works, so I'm not entirely sure how to check old messages, but I bet you tried to help me before. Seems familiar.

Thanks Again,

--Sam

Upvote 0
Chickened out. Regrouping the brain at the moment, but I want to tell you how impressed I am that you took the time to check. Thank you so very much.

Thank you and you're welcome. :)

I know it is nerve racking to root for the first time. My hands were sweating and shaking the first time I did it a couple of years ago. :D

Just read and research and you'll do fine. :thumbup:

Reactions: samstone11
Upvote 0
I am struggling understanding if I sent most of the following message to you or someone else, so I think I should post it. Not even completely certain who gave me the great advice earlier, but I can say that everyone has been incredibly supportive and helpful. Hopefully I won’t offend anyone by trying to find the right people for assistance.

I mentioned in my introduction and profile I have an illness which prevents me from working. It has also robbed me of a great deal of my once much better cognitive skills. As embarrassing as it is, I have had to come to terms a long time ago regarding the fact that I function on a level well below my age, education, and experience, so simplicity is very important. In turn, this has ensured my family has no money for me to upgrade, so I am in a dilemma. We continue our work in hospice, but I have been relegated to rare consulting, but the phone is invaluable should a terminally ill patient or family need my services or input. My Galaxy S 4G has always been quite temperamental, so I have basically reached the limit of my patience. Sporadically trying to research the root concept, I am guilty of only confusing myself other than realizing how obvious it is that I need to do it.

I want to apologize for imposing, but are you aware of some place I can go that will provide directions which will protect the data I have stored on the thing and help me get this accomplished? As I have said earlier, it seems the process changes and I need to be confident very crucial data will not be sacrificed in what could be considered a selfish attempt to avoid some inconveniences.

Thanks again,

--Sam

Upvote 0
What kind of problems are you having with your phone? Have you tried a factory reset to see if that fixes it?

Do you know which version of android you are on? It looks like you need to be on Gingerbread, Android version 2.3.6. To find out go to settings > about phone.

This is a good thread to read for rooting. It has step by step instructions and also tells you how to upgrade to Gingerbread if you need to. If you are on Android 2.3.6, scroll down until you see this part,

I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6) now what:

It looks fairly simple. I would read through the first couple of posts just to familiarize yourself.

I'll be around again in a couple of hours if you still need help.

Reactions: samstone11
Upvote 0
Thanks for responding. The main problem is constant freezing (as often as once an hour). I want to say that T-Mobile had always worked very well with me until the last six months or so, but they exchanged my old phone with a refurbished same model and it instantly began the same thing. Something I always tell my kids is if all the students are failing you have to look at the teacher, or the common denominator which is me in this case. I'm willing to accept blame if I just knew what it is I could be doing wrong. I have uninstalled everything I installed and nothing changed, so I do have a bunch of junk on it. I use it as a sort of bribery to get him away from the TV or mainstream video games and spend time with his fat Dad (me, of course) because I can't get the hang of those stoopid game controllers. He loves to change the appearance with new icons and themes, and we have a couple of virus type protection and memory helpers and actually got me almost hooked on it as a hobby.

I bet that sounds bad, and I wonder if that is the problem? As I said, I have more than once uninstalled everything and nothing changed.

Yes, I have Gingerbread and have had it since it was released, so I have been looking forward to trying to free up a bunch of memory to see if that makes a difference.Is that right, or am I looking at it incorrectly?

I will be looking over the link you sent as soon as my married daughter lets me off the phone sometime in the next two to three hours and thank you again very, very much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones