Confused about 2G/3G settings

Last Updated:

1. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm a bit confused about the 2G/3G settings on my Desire, and wonder if anyone could answer a few questions.

1. I've read about a "2G Networks Only" option but can't find this anywhere, whereabouts is it?

2. I have the HTC "Mobile" widget - does this turn off all mobile data, 2G & 3G, but leave basic phone functionality (calls & texts)?

3. If I leave everything enabled (2G, 3G & WiFi) but am connected to a WiFi AP, does this turn off the 2G and/or 3G to save power or should I use the widget to disable them still?

Thanks for any help :)

Advertisement
  2. hippy247

hippy247 Well-Known Member

To stop 3g all you do is go to to settings, go to wireless and networks, go to mobile network and uncheck it, once you have done that your phone will be 2g only, if you want to go back to 3g/hspda then just check the box again.

3. scokem

scokem Active Member

If you want 2g only then go to:

Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile network settings > Network Mode

Then select GSM only. You can also switch it to WCDMA (3g) only or put it back to default which is mixed.

4. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

Hippy247 is right, but to answer your questions:

the widget you're talking about when on = 3g/hsdpa (internet access and calls/texts), and when off = 2g (calls and texts only)
    when wifi is 'on' with 3g 'on' the internet/data you access should always come from the wifi, whilst you are in range, and not from the 3g connection. However, turning off the 3g widget may save you a little battery (and will also prevent you rfom using mobile data connections if you wander out of range of wifi).
    hope this helps

5. T8jjx

T8jjx New Member

Has anyone had issues with not recieving texts when switching from 3g to 2g?
    I wasn't recieving texts for about a day so i decided to put my sim card into another phone. Doing so i recieved 20 odd messages. I am not sure if its because i keep switching from 3g to 2g and back every few hours.

Also when i switch 2g/3g it takes about a minute to get the 2g/3g signal. Used to take a few seconds before :-(

6. bigr1979

bigr1979 Well-Known Member

I dont get that problem, I often switch my phone to GSM mode at home as it is connected to WIFI for data. If I leave 3g on at home I get a very weak 3g signal in the house but I get a full signal on GSM so better signal for calls and data speed not effected as it is using wifi anyway