• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Confused About Clearing Call Log, Frequents & History

PGB1213

May 20, 2016
Detroit
Hi All!
I hope this post finds everyone well & enjoying this day.

My ZTE Z812 phone, on AT&T running Android 5.1 has developed a quirk that I can't figure out how to un-quirk. (I'm using the stock Android dialer app.)

In the question below, some terms get confusing. When I open the dialer app from the home screen, a list is presented under a tab called "Speed Dial". Those on the list are not the speed dial entries that I have assigned key-presses to. They are really 'frequents". They have no assigned keys.

So here's the puzzlement:

When I make, receive or miss a call, there are two places that the callee or caller's information are presented. One is Call History & one is under the tab called "Speed Dial".

When I push the telephone icon on the home screen, the page with the people I've called or who have called me is presented & it defaults to a tab called "speed dial". Tapping one of these calls that number automatically. I like to keep it clear. I can push the three vertical dots to clear "frequents" and they go away. When they are cleared, pushing the phone icon on the home screen presents a blank page, which is how I like it to be. (The history is cleared by another screen.)

Well, these "frequents" used to go away when I cleared them, but one contact is stuck on the list of frequents.

I have tried clearing history, re-starting the phone and re-clearing the history & frequents. I also have gone as far as removing the SIM card, re-inserting it and re-booting the phone. That person's entry remained. (All of the other calls on the list cleared away just fine.) He is not one of the speed dial key presses that I have assigned. (In case I explained that poorly- i.e. Press number 2 & hold to call home, etc.)

The only way to get this person off the list was to delete the entry from the Contacts app, re-starting the phone and clearing history & frequents. But, if I put a new entry for that person in the Contacts app and call him, he is back on the list as expected, but is stuck on the list again.

Do you all know why this person is stuck on the screen, apparently forever?

Thanks for helping me with this goofy quirk. I sure appreciate your assistance.
Paul

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones