• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

COnfused about Contacts

rbyham

Mar 20, 2011
Verizon SG3 0wner is confused as to how Android OS handles contacts. For some reason when I open up "contacts" I frequently see up to 6 "versions of many of my contacts. However when I look at my roughly 2500 contacts in Outlook there are no duplicates. On the SG3 I am using Touchdown to sync all my exchange server stuff including contacts. But on the phone I also created a corporate sync account. Then I created a google account for my gmail. It seems I do nt understand how to set up an exchange account or I simply don not understand Androids "grouping" of contacts and then the linking that sometimes happens. It almost feels like Android maintains multiple lists of contacts. This becomes a major problem when I go to edit a contact. I cannot for the life of me figure which of the various versions to open and edit. Can anyone point me to a good resource for setting up an exchange server account or otherwise explain what it is I am not comprehending about Android and contacts? Thanks.

Usually, it depends on the accounts you have synced. For example, if you have a contact on Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In and on your phone as well, these may show up as separate contacts and you'll need to merge them. This problem could occur when for example you are syncing your contacts to Gmail from Outlook, where these contacts would therefore appear on your phone as Google Contacts. But syncing to your phone using TouchDown would save them as Phone Contacts, which are separate from Google Contacts, so these would appear as separate instances. You'll need to decide on a single method to sync contacts, then disable the sync and display for other methods.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones