Confused about root access..

Last Updated:

1. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What can I actually do?
    I *think* I can see the root within native file managers, but I am unaware of a way to see it from my PC, is there SSH or something similar I can use?

What are useful folders to know? Like where apps are stored and can be customized, files I can mod or anything else of interest.

Thanks, sorry for confusion :p

Advertisement
  2. cdmackay

cdmackay Well-Known Member

Are you perhaps confusing two different meanings of "root", in the UNIX world?

1. The "root" of the filesystem, often written '/', doesn't require any special privs to see.

2. A privileged role, aka superuser, aka "root".

You don't need to be root to see the root directory / :) You do need to be root to see e.g. the contents of /data.

There is no ssh server pkg for the Hero yet, I believe, but it's being worked on; see the MoDaCo custom ROM (which will also give you root).

For PC access, even without root, you need to download the free Android SDK from Google, and turn on USB debugging on the Hero; you can then get use the adb tool to get a shell, over the USB cable.

3. G8D

I cannot see /data in Linda even tho I am rooted. What is wrong?
    Where are apps stored? I would like to edit some ugly icons.
    I have the SDK, how would I do what you said in it? (currently waiting for the emulator to load :/ )

4. cdmackay

Root access for apps requires special apps that are aware of the Superuser.apk, and can use it to gain root privs. It doesn't work like normal setuid UNIX progs. Try the Root Explorer file mgr.

The apps are stored in a single apk file, under /data/app for regular apps, /data/app-private for paid/protected apps, and /system/app for HTC-supplied apps (they have a few special privs). To edit app icons would require unpacking the apk file, editing, and re-assembling it. I'm not sure how to do that, myself.

If you have the SDK, you will find you have a prog called "adb". You can use that to run commands:

adb ls /

or get a shell:

adb shell

5. cdmackay

It's possible that you need to boot the fastboot loader to get adb access, with a default ROM. I can't remember. With the custom ROMs (e.g. MoDaCo) you don't need to...

6. G8D

Oh, so its not as easy as in iPhone OS (where the installer files are unpacked and you can see all of the inner files)? Sucks.
    Do I run ADP direct from the android folder? Or through the SDK? If I run it CMD pops up and rapidly says alot of stuff and closes.

7. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

ADB should be in the tools folder and is run in windows CMD window.. You should have the environmental variable path set for the tools directory ... so ADB can then be run from anywhere it is needed ...

8. G8D

I understand absolutely everything you just said.