Confused about updating ROM - Orange

Last Updated:

1. Longfellow78

Longfellow78 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm on Orange and am desperate to update my ROM as I am having awful problems with the dreadful radio version, no 3g reception, dodgy bluetooth, non-functional FM radio, dropping calls, and other problems.

I am not desperate to debrand as such, but is it the case that I will have to debrand to change my version to a working ROM? I.e. the latest vanilla HTC ROM? and if so is goldcarding the best way to do this? Or is there a newer working Orange ROM and Radio I can use? (I have ROM and BaseBand

Which is the best ROM to get and where?

Also I have heard there are problems with changing the ROM version on Orange if you try and do an OTA update, as it screws up your phone and it has to be unlocked.

Is it ok to Goldcard to a working ROM and then turn off automatic updates? And then do manual updates to Froyo when it comes?

Or would it be better to change back to an orange ROM and get the official Orange Froyo?

Does anyone have any experience of these issues and what the best course to take is?

2. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I have the same ROM and baseband and no such issue. I have a goldcard ready but my only gripe is the crappy apps they have left behind. The only reason for not procceding is I wanted to sort out a backup Orange ROM first in case of returns. Especially as I was going to return it about this magic dust under the screen issue.