Confused and Cautious Noobie Needs Advice

Last Updated:

1. MarcM

MarcM Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi- I am very tempted to root and flash my dinc. I am also concerned and confused by all the posts about ROM bugs, radio update, permanent s-off and warranty void, losing root ability after the next OTA update, etc.

I suppose the main reasons I would root or flash are:

- better battery life
    - wifi tethering
    - just having some fun

Why I hesitate:

- Fear of ROM bugs or bricking
    - Official update is due soon
    - I would like to avoid re-configuring all my settings as much as possible and don't want to have to do it all again after the OTA
    - Would prefer not install unrevokedforever until s-on option is added

So what's the best way to proceed? Today is a perfect rainy Sunday to put some time in. Should I dive in or wait for the next OTA update and then root and flash after some ROMs are cooked off the official update?

Thanks for you help and such a cool forum................mm

Advertisement
  2. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

If you accept the official 2.2 update without installing Unrevoked Forever, you may not be able to get root. That being said, I was hesitant in the beginning as well. I am now rooted via Unrevoked3 and I have applied forever. I am running Adrenalyns FrankenRom B5 and I have not encountered any bugs. My battery life is good.

If you are only concerned about wifi tethering, then get PDAnet. Its in the market. It is a wired tethering app.

If you decide to root.....
    - You won't lose your set up by rooting w/ unrevoked3.
    - Once rooted, get Titanium back-up and back up all your apps and HTC screen. restore after flashing roms.
    - Most roms will tell you if there are requirements:
    For example: One rom to rule them all - must have s-off.
    the other roms do not require s-off.

Good Luck in what you decide!

Cheers!

3. MarcM

Not being able to root after the OTA update is a concern. Even if I would never bother with root and flashing I like to know that I can.

I'm tempted to just go ahead and do it this afternoon. The downside I see here is that I might permanently void my warranty with s-off. Are there any other disadvantages to rooting, applying forever, and flashing a custom ROM other than the risks of bricking and encountering ROM bugs? Will I be able to apply or benefit from future OTA updates?

4. MarcM

I think I will root the phone with unrevoked3 and just install wireless tethering from the app store for now.

I would also like to update the radio for better performance. I read I can only update to 2.05 without applying s-off and that it can brick my phone if I install it twice. Is this a good idea?

If the official OTA shows up can I run it on a rooted phone? I assume I can. More importantly, do I want to?

5. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

I installed the OTA leak that contained the new radio. I had no issues.
    Some roms require the OTA leak that has the new radio. Make sure you read the posts before flashing.

No, you cannot. In order to install the official OTA, you will need to downgrade to stock. BUT, if you do Unrevoked forever, you can load the offical OTA, then a custom clockwork recovery and re-gain Root.

Read these topics, they will answer most of your questions:

http://androidforums.com/all-things...er-nandroid-adfree-animation-remove-apps.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things...ideo-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html

6. MarcM

Thanks for the links Reaver. I have looked them over already. I think I am beginning to get the picture.

Unrevoked forever makes it all easy and is tempting. I'm just reluctant to make a change I can't undo.

Anyone have an opinion on installing the OTA or not?