Confused - USB Debugging - SD Card?Support

Last Updated:

1. DavidWSnow

DavidWSnow Member This Topic's Starter

A couple days ago I enabled "USB Debugging" because I needed to use PdaNet to connect my laptop to the web. I left debugging on when I was done, because I didn't think that it was effecting anything.

Later while I was connected to my desktop computer (charging) and loading new apps, a couple apps complained that they couldn't access the SD card.

I quickly tested access to the SD card with the camera and Astro File Manager, which could see the SD card.

When I disconnected from the computer I saw "Preparing SD Card" which really scared me. However, the SD card was not reformatted as I had feared.

Can someone please explain the relationships between: USB debugging, being connected to a computer via usb (mounted as a disk on the computer) and access to the SD card?

Also is there a diagram anywhere that shows Android's layout of the disk. For example - where is the Gallery where the camera's photos are located?

Advertisement
  2. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

Which device are you using?

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

USB debugging doesnt matter in this case. the reason you cant see the sd card while connected is because you are in Disk Drive mode. If you just want to charge the phone, pull the notification bar down and hit Charge Only.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

USB Debugging box must be unchecked, or the choice made in the drop down notification bar (once the device is attached to your computer via the USB cable), in order to enable charging only, which disables detection of the sd card, etc.

I've moved your query out of the Android Lounge and into the Droid X support forum for you.

5. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

I was lazy and could've just checked his posts instead of asking. For some reason, I never though about doing that, though.