Confusion about backing up current system and installing custom ROM

Last Updated:

1. dave31175

dave31175 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've read through the step-by-step here, and while I've found it to be the clearest set of instructions I've encountered, I still have a couple points of confusion. It sounds like by the time I get to the end of Section 2 (version 1) I will have a custom ROM installed (2Q).

Now I've used Titanium Backup (I used the pre-OTA Unrevoked for su) to back up apps/data/settings. But I'm not sure what that gets me. What if I want to revert the phone to exactly how it is now? A Titanium Restore would restore apps/data/settings into the custom ROM loaded in 2Q correct?

It appears my answer is in Section 3, item 3D (NAND backup). But at what point do I do Section 3? If I've already gone through Section 2, my current ROM is overwritten by the custom ROM loaded in 2Q, so it's too late to back it up, right?

Perhaps I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be, and I'm usually not a complete idiot about technology! But I'm having trouble getting my arms around some of these concepts. I see a lot of instructions saying "do this, do this, do this", but very little explanation what's actually happening when I do these things, and why I'm doing them, so I'm failing to grasp how the various pieces and actions are fitting together... Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
  2. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

yeah I had the same questions. I did section 5 as I had not done unrevoked and I had the OTA update to 1.47.

first things first you want to keep your setting and apps the way they are now correct?

basic's

titanium back up = apps and user data info are saved

nand back up = current rom install back up (this is used in case something gets hung up during your new rom install, unlikely but just in case) or to easily revert to your old rom in case you don't like the new rom you just installed.

so before you do anything use titanium back up (last thing you will do is restore from titanium)

now perform the root procedure. after rooting is done you phone will boot up into a like factory setting.

now is when you boot into recovery and make the NAND back up (again this is just incase your rom install doesn't work out and you can restore to a working phone)

now install your new rom.

once you are happy with your rom install and you are ready to start using your phone again re-download titanium back and perform the restore you had made earlier.

good luck and happy rooting :)

mrmoto and dave31175 like this.
  3. dave31175

dave31175 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, Drew. The light bulb is starting to come on over my head!

4. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

your welcome :)

it can be a little overwhelming reading all the different information out there

also don't forget to flash your new radio's .. this can be done anytime after installing a new rom. you can do this after everything is done including your restore from titanium. your phone will work without the latest radio's but is recommended you flash the new radio's.

radios are flashed from recovery mode - install zip from sd card ;)

5. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member