Confusion on Firmware upgrade and using HTC Sync

Last Updated:

1. JockVSJock

JockVSJock Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I'm wanting to upgrade the firmware on my HTC Hero.

I've d/l the HTC Hero (Sprint) 2.1 Software Update | 05.19.2010 from
    here:

HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Hero? (Sprint) - Downloads

I believe this is firmware is the upgrade correct?

Also I have HTC Sync installed on my Windows 7 laptop, and I'm not able to sync it. Do I need to use the HTC Sync to install this firmware upgrade or is it not necessary?

Advertisement
  2. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Your phone has to be able to sync using the HTC Sync software. However, the phone doesn't actually sync, the RUU just flashes the new firmware to the phone. But once again, YES, the phone has to be visible to the computer via HTC Sync.

Make sure you have the lastest version of the HTC Sync software downloaded. At one point my laptop (Win. 7) wouldn't sync, but than HTC released a newer version of Sync back in April (I believe), and after downloading that my phone was able to sync.

A tip: You MUST turn off your anti-virus during the HTC Sync download.

3. JockVSJock

JockVSJock Active Member This Topic's Starter

Checked the version of HTC Sync and I'm running 2.0.8. I'm not able to find a new version, unless you know something I don't.

When I google around I find 2.0.8 and 2.0.18. I remember when d/l it the first time, saw there were some different versions based on what version of Windows a person is running.

Mmmmmmkkk.....

Just checked Sprints website again and they have HTC Sync 2.0.33, not sure if it will work with Win 7 or not.

4. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

The Version I downloaded was whatever the latest available downloaded was from HTC's website.