• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confusion: Touchwiz, the galaxy tab 10.1, and Ice Cream Sandwich

zainjetha

Lurker
May 3, 2011
Hi

I am a longtime iOS and mac user and have now made the switch to Windows 7 and never been happier. I am looking to replace both my iPad and iPhone with android devices and will be purchasing the galaxy nexus next week.

Basically I was always initially set on purchasing a stock android tablet, however I realised there are very few available except for the Xoom, and the Galaxy tab feels like a better piece of hardware.

I had a play around with the Xoom and galaxy tab side by side, and the OS for the most part seemed to be the same and operate the same way with two main differences I noted. Contacts app and camera app appeared different and there may be others but I'm not sure. Now I'm by no means against the adding of additional features such as Samsung music and tv show/movie store and these don't bug me, but what does is if the key OS software does get changed dramatically.

My fear is that when ICS comes out for the 10.1, I hope that it will get all the good stuff that google introduced even if it has previously been changed with touchwiz for instance camera and contact apps.Basically my worry is that Samsung may take away from the usual stock experience.I don't mind the UI changes so much though.

Could somebody please highlight the main differences app wise and oswise between stock honeycomb and touchwiz flavoured version to put me at rest?
Can you speculate what Is likely to happen when ICS comes out? Maybe touchwiz will be less prominent.

Many Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones