Connect external monitor to the Desire

Last Updated:

1. forthose

forthose New Member

Hello folks,
    this is probably a question for the super-experts here.
    I'm wondering if there's any way to connect our beloved phone to an external monitor in order to see the display on a larger screen.
    Is it technically possible using the USB cable?
    Some software maybe?

Thanks and enjoy the summer (or winter if you're in the south of the world! ;))

2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

For the tech shows, the vendors typically do connect a giant display via some form of USB voodoo cable. Such a cable is not available for consumers; in fact, there have been a few reports from users who purchased "usb video" cables saying it didn't work.

One alternative an app such as PicMe to grab your screen and display it on a web browser (on the same LAN). There are a number of caveats, though:
    - it may require a rooted phone to work
    - it's not a smooth live stream, more like 1 or 0.2 fps
    - the workstation displaying the browser must be on the same LAN as the phone (may be problematic in corporate environments, but may be circumvented with a hotspot app such as Barnacle)
    but you can use it if your aim is to present an animation-free app (say, Google Calendar) to a larger audience.

Sorry, best I know. :eek:
    juneknowles and forthose like this.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I agree, there is no way to physically do it.
  4. forthose

forthose New Member

mange takk, klaymen! ;)
    Unfortunately picme won't do for the reason you state: not a smooth live stream.
    I had this idea of using it with this fun app I found called Etherial Dialpad that plays music while displaying graphics on the screen.
    So the external monitor would have to be perfectly synced with the music.

I tried! :(
  5. Simpsoni28

Simpsoni28 Member

This is possible (done with the nexus one). However, it requires someone to create drivers for USB hosting mode on the desire (is possible again) which will basically turn the charging/data port on the phone into a USB port like on a laptop/PC so you could plug usb drives/hard drives/printers/scanners etc into it. There is a usb to vga/dvi/hdmi adapter for sale in many shops which would allow the phone to output to a tv [:)]

YouTube - Nexus One USB host mode
  6. forthose

forthose New Member

@Simpsoni28: you give me hope! :) Only problem now is finding that "someone" who'll create the drivers! :D
  7. brad-short

brad-short Well-Known Member

Shame really! This just "Worked" on the N958GB. using the headphone jack you could output video via composite to a tv! Watched "Walle" from my phone hooked up to the hotel TV in Barcelona.. .
  8. betty

betty Member

The VNC server I saw on xda the other day is the closest i've seen. Wasn't full frames but wasn't terrible either.
  9. j1mgg

j1mgg Member

I have just seen a guide on how to use a wii mote to control the desire while using a nes/snes rom.

If there was a cable to connect the device to a external monitor/ or tv it would be great but hey i will just have to get one of those weird looking tv magnifiers that use to be in the sunday paper catalogues and turned a 14" in portable into a cinema screen
  10. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

i thought on rooted devices you could use droidexplorer?
    i used it with my old galaxy and could work with my phone with the screen being transfered to the computer
  11. incsmiro

incsmiro Well-Known Member

Has this actually worked for anyone? If so please post details as to what we have to do.
  12. jefferinho

jefferinho Member

:D i have connected my desire to my ps3 usb and watched films i have put on desire from laptop
    so yes it is possible and easy to do if you have a ps3 :p
  13. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Umm this is not at all what people are trying to do :p
  14. jefferinho

jefferinho Member

:rolleyes: hmm well he said he wanted to see his display on large screen ?
    plzzzz clarify
  15. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Well exactly that, he wants to see his display on a bigger screen not mount the phone as a USB device as you are doing.

So basically he would be able to use his phone in its entirety but on a much larger display.