Connect laptop to LG Optimus V Wifi/3G network?General

Last Updated:

1. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest

I want to know if it's possible for me to connect to my V's wifi/3g network. Meaning, on my laptop it will show "Connect to ____ network"

Advertisement
  2. memurrayjr

memurrayjr Member

Yes there is, go to the market on your phone and download "Quick Settings". Press the menu key and then hit customize. From there scroll down to WiFi hotspot and drag it to the top. go back and turn it on. pull down your notification bar and press "Hotspot active", touch to configure. You can set up WPA/WEP or just leave it open from here. You can also change the SSID name from AndroidAP.
    Investor22 likes this.
  3. droidborg

droidborg Well-Known Member

And it violates VM service agreement to do it.

Sucks I know, it was one of the reasons I got the V.
  4. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

If you have 2.2.1 you can use the Optimus V as a mobile hotspot (against your Terms of Service with Virgin Mobile) with Quick Setting and a host of other apps.

If you have 2.2.2 hotspot has been blocked, but the phone can be tethered via USB to a computer, again against the TOS.

There are a good number of discussions about both of these through out the forum. I did a write up on setting up a hotspot app recently.
    Investor22 likes this.
  5. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Well-Known Member Contributor

And bear in mind that VM is going to start throttling in what--October? If you use more than 2.5 g of data.

It takes some doing to hit that cap with just your phone. My laptop will use that in just a few hours.

(Found that out with a MiFi on vacation. Now the laptop stays at home.)
  6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

A good way to get an idea of what you're currently using is to install 3G Watchdog. Set the quota for 2.5gb for 30 days. I'm testing mine at the moment to see what my general usage is like:

[​IMG]
    detector19 likes this.
  7. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

I pay for broadband service at home so I don't use the hotspot feature. Once or twice though, it's saved me when the power went out and i had to finish a work thing (I work at home).

Is 2.2.2 an OTA update or what? I'd avoid it for that reason, probably.
  8. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Well-Known Member Contributor

Not sure if they will push it OTA, but it is what is installed on newer Optimus V phones, as well as the replacements they send out.
  9. MacFett

@lizm you can still tether with 2.2.2.
  10. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest

I used the app solution briefly, it was an incredibly slow connection. Now, I don't plan to use it as a mobile hotspot. How should I remove the app?
  11. MacFett

A sharp knife and some electrical tape.
  12. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

13. DMGO

DMGO Member

How about tethering to a TABLET? Any chance?
  14. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest

I see, well with that I'm not using it as a mobile hotspot. Sucks.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. would any one happen to know if the V has an led light? I thought I saw a setting available to turn in on/off. I may be wrong.
  15. koopakid08

koopakid08 Well-Known Member

No led light in the v unfortunately
  16. koopakid08

Should work fine.
  17. syav

syav Well-Known Member

LOL! If α knife is too big, how aЬout αn electricαl screwdriver?
  18. MacFett

Not sure how you'd tether to a tablet, I guess a dongle would work. But do tablets have a NIC? I thought just wifi? Wifi would work for sure, but I doubt tethering would.
  19. koopakid08

Oh I was thinking wifi hotspot. I guess it might depend on the tablet. A USB port would be required and the software would have to support it. I am not sure.
  20. syav

syav Well-Known Member

I'm also υsing 3G Watchdog to see hoω mυch data I υse a month. Do υ knoω if the qυοtα goes by month (ie. Oct 1 - Oct 31) or does it go by yoυr monthly date dυe?
  21. Petrah

:eek:

You know, I don't remember rofl. This is my first time using it, and it's been almost a month since I set it... oh the joys of getting old! :eek:

Edit: Looking at the settings.. I set mine on Aug 1 and it stops on Aug 31 at midnight. I wonder if it would go from like the (random date here) 5th to midnight on the 4th.
  22. syav

syav Well-Known Member

Ooρs sorry if I got υ confυsed. Actυally I ωas asking about VM's throttling that's supposed to begin in Oct. So...does VM monitor our data υsage from Oct 1 - Oct 31, or is it monitored by the date that your ρhone bill is due?
  23. Petrah

Ohhhh. I would imagine they monitor the usage for your current billing cycle, but I cannot be absolutely certain.
    syav likes this.
  24. MacFett

It is your billing month, not a calendar month.
    syav likes this.
  25. syav

syav Well-Known Member

Ok thanks! :)
    One final question: Mine is due on the 23rd. Will I get monitored betωeen Oct 1 - Oct 22 seρerately? If υ're not sυre that's oκ. I jυst don't feel likε calling VM Cυstomεr Sεrνice. :p