Connect to 4G through your phone (infrastructure mode)Tips

1. Android14

Android14 Well-Known Member

Update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NArNz4D3p0o -- Made this video with instructions.

I tried tons of apps for connecting to wifi through my phone(tethering), but all of them used ad-hoc mode which the fire does not support.

My phone is the LG Esteem and I have 4G.

Finally after trying over 6 different apps, I went here:

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Had to use the wifi_tether_v3_1-pre101.apk which is still a version in progress(beta).

Then in settings it says "Change Device-Profile" I clicked that and chose "LG Optimus S" as my phone. Yea I know I have LG esteem but it is not listed.

Once i did this, I clicked "press to start tethering" on my phone and my kindle fire can now connect with 4G speed through my LG esteem.

So, the officially released version of android tether does not have this option to choose phone type, so you need to try a beta or experimental version of this program such as the one I listed above in this post.

Now I can connect anywhere, anytime.

Advertisement
    h2oboy5 likes this.
  2. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

SO sounds cool but I am a little unclear , does the apk go on the phone, the Fire, or both?

It sounds like it goes on the Phone but I want to test understanding.
  3. Android14

The APK is an app you need to install on the phone that will act as the hotspot for your tablet.
  4. Android14

Made a video update with instructions on how to do this
  5. bill.g

bill.g Well-Known Member

Yeah this is the app I have been using on all my android phones as it generally works better than the official "hotspot" apps that came with the phones.
  6. Android14

Yea most apps use ad-hoc, this one can do infrastructure and for a lot of phones, its a nice app.
  7. Whatstreet

Whatstreet Well-Known Member

Does the phone have to be rooted or can the app just be side loaded into the phone.
  8. RawRmon

RawRmon Active Member

I was ablr to make my phone a hotspot simply by downloading the app "quick settings" on the Android Market. It is like a supped up version of the setting application on your phone. In the "quick settings" app it gives you an option of turning on or off your "wifi-hotspot" on your phone. You give your device a name and password so any device trying to get the wifi signal from your phone has to put in a password. I had no idea my LG Optimus V had this option! Best of all it's free! My brother found out that method and passed it on to me. My KF now has 3g where ever I and my phone go.
  9. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

I read a thread about folks installing these hotspot widgets on their phones and using them to turn on their phone's hot spot functionality, and then later on receiving a bill for it from their cellphone carrier. I don't know of any cellphone carrier who offers the 3g hotspot feature for free.
    I'm not trying to burst your bubble; just think you maybe should do a little more research on it before you get a surprise in the mail. You may possibly fly under your carrier's radar, who knows....
  10. Whatstreet

I'll try it. If VZ charges me I'll stop doing it and ask them to remove the hot spot feature.

I have heard people say they avoid the hot spot fee on rooted phones.

I completely protest VZ charging me extra for using my bandwidth.
  11. Android14

I am using unlimited metropcs 4G with unlimited data, so I don't worry about data charges.

However, if you don't have unlimited data be careful.
  12. Whatstreet

I have unlimited 4G for now at least.
  13. RawRmon

RawRmon Active Member

Well I have virgin mobile, my data is unlimited. So far I haven't had a large bill. It might be with carriers who are not unlimited based, but thanks for the heads up though.
  14. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

For my Epic4g I was able to use beta6 instead of the experimental build, and worked great.
  15. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

Sprint has unlimited data too, but they charge extra if you want to tether and also have data caps. Not sure if I will get that by using this app, but I could get charged for it. of course with your carrier, YMMV
  16. smankins

smankins Well-Known Member

Virgin Mobile is unlimited but they will throttle the connection speed beyond a certain amount per month - 2 GB I think. Most of the time my 3G connection would be worse than their throttled speed, though!
  17. RawRmon

RawRmon Active Member

Thankfully I don't use it unless I need to, I seem to always have a wifi connection around. But so far, no extra charges, it's prepaid:)
  18. Lavend

Lavend New Member

This works with LG Ally as well However need to choose third option netd (master) under change setup method while you have LG optimus s selected under device profile =))))
  19. KX4SAM

KX4SAM Well-Known Member

I also have "unlimited data", but have to pay $20.00 for hot spot.
  20. BlueMuscles

BlueMuscles Well-Known Member

Ok..do you guys have the $50 or $60 unlimited plan ?
  21. eqowens

eqowens New Member

Thanks!! It worked for me. I can now connect with my prime.
  22. angldvl81

angldvl81 Well-Known Member

doesnt work for me. pre115 or beta11.
  23. itzawrap

itzawrap New Member

Any body tried it with the LG connect also called the LG MS840 metro pcs.

Thanks
    John
  24. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

I know Verizon can tell what your doing with G4 (LTE), that's part of the reason they started requiring SIM Cards in LTE devices.
    They usually won't bother you with G3 unless you all of a sudden have a astronomical increase in bandwidth usage over a couple months.
  25. jhtalisman

jhtalisman Well-Known Member Contributor

Just use FoxFi. Easy to use, but may not be available on the market because of your carrier's limitations.