• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help connect to ad-hoc wireless network

wildtouch83

Android Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2010
I have a new Droid Incredible (upgraded from Eris :)) but I cannot connect to an ad-hoc network I have setup.

With wi-fi turned on, I scan for networks and nothing shows up. I even manually entered the network name and no security (which is how it's setup right now) and it still does not connect.

Can the Inc connect to ad-hoc networks?

I'v been trying to do this since launch day. I have ICS at work, with wireless internet sharing from my work machine, and i'm sharing an ad-hoc network. All my friends with iPhones and Ipod Touches can connect except for me. I turn it off on purpose to piss them off. I know there is some modification that needs to be done in the configuration file, but you need to use the 'adb shell' and you need to know the VI language.

From Android.Modaco

when in 'adb shell' there is 'vi' by default. but its kind of hard to use.
vi /path/to/file, navigate with 'h' (left), 'j' (down), 'k' (up), 'l' (right), enter editing mode when at the appropriate position with 'i', write whatever you want and go back to view-mode with esc. repeat until finished. then, in view-mode enter :wq (there will be a prompt at the bottom after entering the : w = write, q = quit). done. easy huh?

or you can always do
adb pull /path/to/file .
your-favorite-editor file
adb push file /path/to/file

which is probably a lot easier.
the first solution works on the terminal emulator on the phone as well, so i thought it might be worth explaining.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones