• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

connect too 8011.n?

dockmaster

Jun 17, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Is the HTC Eris supposed to connect to 8011.n on wireless?
It will connect to my home network (Belkin router) on the combo setting 8011.b/8011g but on the combo setting 8011b/8011g/8011n, the phone will not connect, unless the protection is disabled on the network. When I switch it to 8011b/8011g with or without protection the phone finds and connects right away.
Will not connect at all on the 8011.n setting period.....
Everything else in my house connects on the 80aa.b/8011g/8011n setting on the router, even though my laptop is the only 8011.n capable pc.

Am i missing a setting on the Eris? Its not a big deal and the difference in speed probably wont keep me awake at night, but I have to have my router set to b/g instead of b/g/n
just curious.

THANKS
Billd

If you go onto Belkin's web site, is there a firmware update for your router? If there is, it may be worth flashing it. Also, I understand that the Eris has better luck with WPA2 (or WPA set with AES as opposed to TKIP). If you are not broadcasting the SSID, try unhiding it; it provides no security anyway.

I am able to connect to several 802.11n routers set to b/g/n; Apple here at home, Netgear and Linksys routers at familys' houses.

Upvote 0
dockmaster/billd:

The Eris release specs never mentioned 802.11n, so it is rather doubtful that it can "do" 802.11n.

802.11n is basically "802.11g with channel bonding".

What you are experiencing - to paraphrase, "works with some combination of settings, but not others" - is frankly rather typical with mix-n-match WiFi networks, and the results you get depend a great deal on what devices are involved, what firmware revisions are used, what settings on both the AP & the clients, et cetera, et cetera.

That makes it very difficult for anyone to give you better advice than what you are already doing - try different settings to see if you can get things to work.

There are some general principles that you can use to try things out, though: the most important of them is that "the simpler the environment, the less opportunity there is for bugs to show themselves". Usually this means configuring the WiFi router to behave in a manner which is as simple as possible.

For instance, some people have reported problems with their Eris when they have their WiFi router/AP set up to do multi-mode a/b/g, but work perfectly well with b-only or g-only ... using the exact same router.

I experienced a problem where I could connect & get an IP lease (dhcp) from a WiFi router - but when I used WPA/AES, no traffic would pass after the initial successful (!!) connection. An upgrade to the router firmware fixed that problem.

If your "upstream" connection to the internet is only a couple of Mbits/second (which is typical for DSL/Cable), let's say 3-10 Mbits/sec, and you mostly use WiFi only for accessing the Internet - then neither G or N do much, if anything, for you at all, because the connection to the internet is the rate-limiting factor. Certainly the Eris never goes faster than about 3-4 Mbits/second, so it only needs WiFi-B at the most.

If you have devices that share files across WiFi within your WiFi LAN - and especially if we are talking about video streaming, or you have FiOs or UVerse, then WiFi-G should be used at a minimum. It is not clear that you get any benefit from WiFi-N unless you have lots of high-speed devices running simultaneously, or you routinely move huge files around between your devices in your WiFi LAN.

HTH

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones