connectbot + ssh key locationTips

Last Updated:

1. xklaliburx

xklaliburx Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, have connectbot running and want to lock things down a bit more as I don't like using the PasswordAuthentication feature, so I like using ssh keys only.

So I have connectbot installed, click menu -> manage pubkeys but can only generate. No problem, I generate one, now in a normal linux world, I would grab my public but not sure where it is on the phone via astro, mounted disk, etc. Also, whats the significance of the green unlock vs. red lock.

Thanks in advance to move forward on this project :)

Advertisement
  2. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

*bump* Because I also would like to know this answer.

3. lad29

lad29 New Member

Not sure if this helps. I've just installed ConnectBot onto my Desire and am trying to get the hang of it too.

I found out that when you Copy your Public Key you can then paste it into a document/email/note etc.

It's more a copy and paste tool than it copying the key file to a location.

Not sure what the green and red lock is for yet either.

4. threeten

threeten Member

I'm reviving a thread thats a month old, but I just figured this out and someone else might need the answer.

Generate your key pair in ConnectBot (RSA or DSA) and save. Then select "Manage PubKeys" from the menu. Hold your finger down on the key that you want to copy and select "Copy public key".

You will then need to paste the key into an email or text message and send it to your computer. Then login to your ssh server with the user name you intend to use and find .ssh/authorized_keys and open the file in a text editor. Paste the text and save and now you should be good to go.

The green (unlocked) and red (locked) keys are just a way for you to select different keys depending on what server you are logging in to. A nice little piece of software!