• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecting Droid Turbo 2 to Computer via USB

Hey, I've had my Droid Turbo 2 since release day and have been liking it for the most part. Yesterday, though, I decided I wanted to connect it to my laptop to get some pictures off of it and throw some other files on it. On all my other phones, all I had to do was connect it to my computer via USB and a little folder would pop up under Devices and Drives and I could see everything on the phone (music, photos, files, etc.). Now when I connect the Droid Turbo 2, nothing on my computer pops up. All it does is charge the phone (quite slowly I might add, but that doesn't bother me). I've tried multiple USB ports two different computers.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Zach

So I decided to try another USB cable laying around and this time the computer saw the phone and I can access/view all my phone's files on my laptop now. So I guess only some USB cables are able to do this? News to me. Hopefully if anyone else has my same problem, a different USB cable will solve it for them too.

Upvote 0
It sounded like a bad cable in the initial description. In the case where it sometimes works ... I would check to see if the cable plug or socket is corroded or dirty making a poor contact sometimes and a good contact other times.

Another really odd thing ... I have been moving files from my Turbo to my Windows 7 machine to my Turbo 2 and back again. Sometimes a file I added on the first phone is not seen on the PC. The solution is to power off/power on the phone and reconnect to the PC. The files are then visible.

There is some initialization of the file structure that is only happening during the boot process.

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree that it sounds like a bad cable. I do know that charge only (no data) USB cables do exist because I have one.
But you really have to look hard to find one. I cannot see why Moto would purposely include that type of cable.

The one I have has a single USB plug with 4 different plugs on the other end: micro USB, mini USB, Apple dock and Apple lightning. Works great for those times when a friend needs a quick charge and doesn't have a cable, to throw in the car as a spare or in the travel bag. But again, no data is transmitted on any of them. Also, you can actually charge multiple items at once with it but things charge veeeeery slow.

Upvote 0
Same here. Droid turbo 2. connect with usb cable. select the MTP option. open explorer. internal files show, but sd card shows as blank. all files I want to transfer is on the external sd card. why is it showing as empty? camera setting are selected as stored on sd card. ES File explorer shows as the files on sd card. but not coming up with cable connection

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem, but it's not related to cables. I have two Droid 2 Turbos (one is a replacement from Verizon to hopefully fix some speaker issues). They're running the same version of the OS and everything. If I plug the new one in, I can see it with adb devices and it will prompt for USB debugging. The old one won't connect. I've tried PTP and MTP, and I've tried two separate computers: one running Win7 and one running Ubuntu. I've tried putting the old phone into safe mode, rebooted, changed cables, changed USB ports, cleaned the cache, blown compressed air into the port, nothing.

When I first got this phone I was able to connect via USB debugging because I did a backup restore onto this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This began for me soon after a recent phone update. Here is how I solved this problem; in my situation:
>Keep phone connected to the computer using USB cable
>Go to phone "Settings"
>Find and select "Developer options" on the settings menu list
>Choose "Select USB Configuration" - Mine was (and should be) set to "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)"
>Temporarily instead, select, "Charging" from the list
>Once changed, again re-select "Select USB Configuration"
>Change back to the original "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)" from the list
>As was my case, all was then recognized by the computer and my files/folders on the phone were now visible on my Windows based file window.

Hope that helped someone. It worked for me. -Tim

Upvote 0
Can't find "Developer Options" for the life of me... Any idea where it's hiding?

Go to Settings -> About phone -> scroll down to Build number -> tap/touch that row 7 times and a toast should appear saying you are now a Developer.

Hit the back button to the main Settings display and you'll now see that you have Developer options just above the About phone row.

:)

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Go to Settings -> About phone -> scroll down to Build number -> tap/touch that row 7 times and a toast should appear saying you are now a Developer.

...and, as peculiar as that sounds, if you don't initially see the Developer options toward the bottom of your Settings list, you do indeed need to perform the above stated oddity.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

Hit the back button to the main Settings display and you'll now see that you have Developer options just above the About phone row.

:)

THANKS! Worked. I had no idea that existed.

Upvote 0
This began for me soon after a recent phone update. Here is how I solved this problem; in my situation:
>Go to phone "Settings"
>Choose "Select USB Configuration" - Mine was (and should be) set to "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)"
>As was my case, all was then recognized by the computer and my files/folders on the phone were now visible on my Windows based file window.

Thanks Tim!!! That worked!!!

Upvote 0
>Go to phone "Settings"

Thanks Tim!!! I've been to the Verizon store, on-line with Dell, and Google searched EVERY possible way of trying to fix the problem; and your way fixed it in 30 seconds! Now,,, got any ideas on how to replace the hair I pulled out trying to find the solution!?! Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks Tim!!! I've been to the Verizon store, on-line with Dell, and Google searched EVERY possible way of trying to fix the problem; and your way fixed it in 30 seconds! Now,,, got any ideas on how to replace the hair I pulled out trying to find the solution!?! Thanks again!

Thank you for signing-up and replying to this thread, Paul--that was very kind of you! :)

Now to your other question, although it's a bit out of my Android knowledge-zone, you might want to check-out:

upload_2017-1-10_15-6-37.jpeg

:D ;) :p

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Thank you for signing-up and replying to this thread, Paul--that was very kind of you! :)

Now to your other question, although it's a bit out of my Android knowledge-zone, you might want to check-out:

:D ;) :p

Cheers!
Thanks for the humor Scary Alien! Your AndroidForums are already bookmarked and will be my first place to look next time I have a problem. Thanks again! And thanks again to Tim McDermott!

Upvote 0
Hey, I've had my Droid Turbo 2 since release day and have been liking it for the most part. Yesterday, though, I decided I wanted to connect it to my laptop to get some pictures off of it and throw some other files on it. On all my other phones, all I had to do was connect it to my computer via USB and a little folder would pop up under Devices and Drives and I could see everything on the phone (music, photos, files, etc.). Now when I connect the Droid Turbo 2, nothing on my computer pops up. All it does is charge the phone (quite slowly I might add, but that doesn't bother me). I've tried multiple USB ports two different computers.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Zach

I had this same problem. This is what you do. You connect your phone to your PC, just like you were doing. Then you go to your phone at the top and swipe down, and it will give you options to choose. Choose USB. Select File Transfers.

Here are the directions when I googled it:
Connect the device to a computer using the supplied USB cable.
  1. If necessary, touch and hold the Status bar (area at the top of the phone screen with the time, signal strength, etc.) then drag to the bottom. The image below is only an example.
  2. Tap the USB icon then select File transfers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones