• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecting external card reader?

Connecting a card reader directly to the phone? That's not possible as far as I know. If you're just needing the contents of the card, you can mount the SD card as a drive in your computer (plug in the phone, choose Mount as Drive). In essence, your phone would be acting as a reader in that case.

I want to view video from a sports cam on a Micro SD card out in the field without having to take the back cover and battery off.

~DC

Upvote 0
Ahh, gotcha. Yea, in that case, you're probably out of luck. I don't know of any phones off-hand that have the support for an external card reader. I suppose with Android it might be possible -- at least with some phones and readers -- but haven't come across anything. Afterall, Android has full support for writing to the cards themselves and full *nix mount goodness, it'd just be a matter of getting an app and/or driver to interface with a drive being presented via USB then mounting it.

Some phones have the SD card more accessible than others, but the Evo's is just in a really, really bad spot. I do hate that about the Evo since I have oodles of microSD cards that I could slapt full of videos or music and swap in when I want an extended media-only session, but that's not practical with the Evo.

I think there are also some devices that could present themselves wirelessly as a WebDAV/FTP server or something similar and have a card reader built in, but I've never really paid any attention to them. Your best bet would probably be to purchase a portable video player that accepts SD card inputs if you reguarly review the footage.

Now if you do find a way to use an external card reader with the Evo, let me know :p

Upvote 0
I believe the problem with this is that you would require a host USB controller in the EVO, or some implementation of "USB to go". USB isn't a peer-to-peer connection like firewire is, so it requires a host to host a client (i.e. your PC is the host, and the EVO is a USB client). It would be very cool to get it working though!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm just going to wait for a decent android tablet that has the microSD slot and can support 1080 playback

~DC

Mmm, that'd be nice. Slap on the next generation of nVidia's ION chipset, stick on a hefty but power-efficent CPU to suppliment, solid bluetooth stack to support external controllers and keyboards/mice, and you'd have a nice little portable. 'course battery life probably wouldn't be all that great :p

In any event, thanks for the reminder about the USB model, talz123. I tend to stick to Firewire and Fibre channel in day-to-day stuff with the odd SAS/iSCSI. About the only thing I use USB for nowadays is charging and keyboards/mice (plus my phone :p ).

Upvote 0
I work for a newspaper and use a digital camera in the field. There are often times I am in the field and need to send a pic back to the office and it would be nice to have a multi-card reader for my droid that can handle a compact flash card (much bigger than an sd card) . Even one that required external power (12 volt cig lighter) would be handy. I waste a lot of miles somedays rushing pics to the office before deadline so hopefully some bright engineer will figure out a cost effective way to make this happen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones