connecting galaxy s4 to speakersSupport

1. sm_025

sm_025 Member

so a while ago when I tried to connect my phone to a speaker using an aux cable, audio wouldn't play on the speaker or on the phone.
    how do I fix this so that I can play music on external speakers using an auxiliary cable?

Advertisement
    :
  2. backdoc77

backdoc77 Well-Known Member

That's odd. I play music at work on portable speakers from my S4 with no problem. Are the speakers powered on with volume up?
  3. sm_025

sm_025 Member

Yes for sure
    I think the problem is that the phone thinks the cable is actually headphones.
    I think I'd the speakers were bluetooth it would work
  4. oleb84

oleb84 Well-Known Member

Your phone saying "headphones connected" I'd actually what you want to see. I don't see this being a problem with your phone but the speakers.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
  5. sm_025

sm_025 Member

my mistake
    I just don't know why it doesn't play
  6. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

How would the phone know if it's speakers or headphones connected via a cable? It's really the same thing. Speakers are just headphones that don't fit on your head.

Are you sure the cable is pushed in all the way? Do you have a case on your phone? Some cases prevent large aux cables from seating all the way. Try a different cable from headphones or a different aux cable to see if it works.
  7. sm_025

sm_025 Member

I know for sure that it is not the size of the cable or because the case is getting in the way because the cable isn't clunky and neither is the case
  8. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

As shmn says, external powered speakers are, to all intents and purposes, no different to headphones from the phone's perspective.

You are using powered speakers aren't you? You either need to be using powered portable speakers (i.e. ones that include an amplifier) or you need to connect your phone to an amplifier using an aux cable.

You need to try to isolate the problem. Does the headphone socket work when you plug headphones into the phone? Do the powered speakers work when you plug them into another device using the same cable?
  9. sm_025

sm_025 Member

yesses to both questions.
    the phone also doesn't work with other speakers that use aux cables
  10. lotus49

What sort of speakers are you using and what sort of cable?

I haven't tried this with powered speakers but I have connected (using a 3.5mm - phono cable) to my hifi amp and it works perfectly. I didn't have to do anything other than plug it in.
  11. sm_025

sm_025 Member

the thing is it worked until about last month so honestly it really doesn't matter what kind of speakers they are
    the speakers still work with other media devices like my old mp3, but the phone doesn't work with any speaker that uses an aux cable
  12. lotus49

That is indeed true. If you had mentioned that earlier in the thread, which you didn't, I wouldn't have asked.
  13. sm_025

sm_025 Member

sorry I should have mentioned that
    any suggestions?